Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Samoa

Loopgraaf

Maybe i searched not good enough on this forum, but i saw nothing about the most easiest attack on German ground. German Samoa, No resistance from officers or German civilians against the New Zealand troops. 

Here a short intresting story, okay i find it intrestring. 

https://nzhistory.govt.nz/war/capture-of-samoa

If somebody has more information about troops, monuments or whatever, let me know.

There are two books at least on German colonies and German expansion. My books are buried away in storage somewhere. From what I remember. The Samoan Island group, population never reached over 1500 . The British and German Governments were interested  for same reason, expansion of Empires, all Europe wanted to follow the British empire in that respect. The only product for the economy, little as it was, was coconut meat/ husk for the raw fiber. The German government in 1880’s sent over a small force to “ protect” German citizens and set up a small garrison on main island, Naval Marine landing forces, forgot exact term.       Samoa had only 2 main “ Family” lines, devided  by politics. Germany and England each backed a family. It was said that the British thought there was not enough there in Samoa to warrant to cost to protect it and not worth a fight, Germany got it be default in a way.        
The one thing I found fascinating, collecting old rifles and Great War. In 1886 or 1888, the rivalry of the two warring family’s, a company of German Naval Marines on a March, armed with the New repeating rifle, the Mauser M71/84 were ambushed and I believe had 17 casualties.,    
As you said, there was no resistance at all to New Zealand invading at beginning of Great War, believe native population was at or u set 900, between all islands, and the German contengent was so small. They knew there was nothing they could do. At beginning of the war, I believe Germany had only one small ship. Do not know what kind

Just a little background, thought you might like

Edited by Steve1871

This land grab by the so called Great powers went on all through 1914 by the NZ, Japan and us (Australia) picking up German colonies for nothing, and keeping them.

Much like the German Africian colonies, but they bit off more then they could chew in East Africa.

• 3 weeks later...

Read the subsequent articles after the one you mentioned from the nz history site they explain the results of the invasion.

Most of the German settlers were expelled back to Germany. The German governor and important German personnel became prisoners of war in nz

The invasion changed life in Samoa greatly the nz govt did things very differently than the Germans had.

That is a great photo there GreyC. Samoan troops with a single m71 type Naval cartridge pouch centered over the buckle. It would seem to be awkward to open/ close the belt

Thanks there Kenf48

GreyC. Do you have any more info about that photograph. Such as its

date or names of people in it?

Christine 

Edited by christine liava'a

My book qaravi na'i Tavi is about the men and women from Fiji who fought in ww1- in 6 different armies.

They included the Fiji labour corps -an all native fijian unit

There are plenty of earlier posts about my book on this forum!

Hi Christine,

unfortunately I am not with my books and collection right now. The photo seems to have been taken 1905 during a visit of the USS Adams, if memory serves me right.

GreyC

@christine liava'a Is that book still for sale? 

Everybody thanks for the information.