Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal card Abbreviations/ Frederick Edward Arthur Bambridge

FionaBam

· My grandfather Freddy – Frederick Edward Arthur Bambridge,  had an unusual service record, going from the Royal Field Artillery , commissioned to 6th Wiltshire Regiment, attached to Royal Flying Corps and serving with them in France from 25 10 1915 until he re-joined 6th Wilts in France  on 22 02 1916 .  Next,Freddy, after being forced to relinquish his  Army commission due to ill- health in Oct 1916,  returned to war serving  in the Royal Naval Air Service from July 1917 till he was sent home   following his plane being shot down in Flanders on 22.3.1918. He was  later  deemed unfit to serve  but was  permitted to retain his rank.

I would like some help to understand more on Freddy's medal card please .

Under Remarks for all medals it says “to be admist by A/M "

Does this mean  medals to be administered by the Air Ministry?

It says in pencil   in the central large square “Further Appln per attached " – what is the significance of this note?

I have  Freddy’s other available war service documents, apart from any document stating where he was posted to with the RFC as an Observer Oct 1915 till Feb 1916.That hunt continues !

Thanks in advance for any ideas. Maybe these are for administrative /cataloguing purposes only?

Fiona 

FB_IMG_1703103000924.jpg

FEAB Medal Card.PNG

Edited by FionaBam
Errors

1 hour ago, FionaBam said:

Does this mean  medals to be administered by the Air Ministry?

Yes.

1 hour ago, FionaBam said:

It says in pencil   in the central large square “Further Appln per attached " – what is the significance of this note?

Can't be 100% sure, but as an officer he had to apply for both his service medals and his Silver War Badge, so given the that the note is written on the MiC across from the SWB Roll details, I suspect the "further application" relates to that. 

Cheers,
Peter

26 minutes ago, PRC said:

suspect the "further application" relates to that. 

Brilliant! Thank you Peter! That's really helpful for me  .

Indeed  that's logical and highly likely. 

So no more worrying about some mysterious information connected to Freddys medal card .☺️

Back to the RFC quest at Kew soon , thanks to help last week by @topgun1918!

Cheers

Fiona