Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

royal sussex regiment

Guest stylesy

In my research into my family history i came across private Edward Styles who was part of my ancestry i came across a memorial on the CWGC which i list below. On searching deeper into the regiment it states the battalion moved to Portslade in the month of Edwards death can anyone with any knowledge of the regiment help me to find out where or how i can get any details of edwards army records or any details of regarding Portslade and the regiment in general

thank you James Styles

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/certifica...casualty=393251

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/9th_royal_sussex.htm

James

You will have to go the National Archives in Kew, SW London to obtain a copy of his service record if it still exists. You will have about a one in four chance of it surviving as many were destroyed by bombing in WW2. You could also check the war diaries for his unit at the same time. You could employ a researcher to do this for you if you cannot get there yourself.

Unfortunately, as he did not leave the UK, he will have no campaign medal entitlement and so seaching the on-line Medal Index Cards will not prove fruitful.

Portslade is a part of the continuous ribbon of urban sprawl along the south coast in Sussex just along from Brighton, Worthing etc. It is an industrial, commercial and residential area (with a very nice cemetery containing many war graves!) and is next to the small port of Shoreham.

Paul Reed is a Royal Sussex expert and may be able to help further with actual regimental details.

Thank you Terry for your informative reply i live in Livepool so i will find it difficult to go to Kew. Maybe i will find out from the records from his birth and burial place in Woodstock record office once again thank you for your help

kind regards Jimmy

Hi, as Terry mentioned I have a special interest in the Royal Sussex. You have already found my page on the 9th Battalion. Because he didn't serve overseas, as Terry says, he won't be on the Medal Index Cards and I must say there is only a slim chance of a service record having survived in WO363 at the NA.

Your best bet is to look at local newspapers for the period; the Sussex ones are quite good, and may well contain a photo and obituary.

My ancestor was born in Woodstock Oxford and is Buried in Woodstock cemetry so maybe that will be a better source of information i would love to solve the mystery of how he lost his life while serving with the Royal Sussex regiment without actually being engaged in the Great war, Thanks for your help

kind regards Jimmy