Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

British bunker, Vlamertinge.

Cnock

I don't think the damage to this bunker (Assam Farm to the British, De Roo Bailie nowadays) was caused by contemporary shell fire. There is no evidence of a hit.  Unfortunately, it looks like very poor construction: the steel forms are not bolted together, and the concrete shows signs of being cast in separate sections, with what a builder would call "cold joints" where concrete has been placed on already set concrete, so they do not bond properly. So, a very weak structure. Also, an oddity with doors at either end, one of which was later partly blocked. Looks like this part is falling out anyway.

Started originally 222 RE Field Coy,in a barn, it was handed over to the American 105th Regiment of Engineers for completion in August 1918, when the Americans took over this sector. They recorded the barn was hit by a shell and "was totally destroyed by fire, however the emplacement was not damaged and was later completed."

There were also other works here, now obviously long gone.

Peter

PS Eddy  it may be my imagination ,and never noticed before,  but can I see over the rear doorway (your 5th pic)  inscribed Assam, with a date?

Eddy, with your blow-up I think you are right. With the name being Assam, made in August 1918, I think it looks a bit fanciful.

As I said, could be/looks like  my imagination.

Peter

assa.jpg

Loopgraaf, if you want to know the location of all existing British bunkers on the Western Front between the coast and the Somme, (in excess of 200), with precise location and information, suggestion is to obtain a copy of "Armageddon's Walls, British Pill Boxes 1914-1918".

Some are OK to visit, some are on private land.

Peter

Edited by mebu

@mebu, i come in Iepers area more than 20 years. The bunkers on private land, i don't go into that. But what Cnock showed, maybe i saw it once, but maybe don't. I don't remember the bunker so that is why i ask the place. And i know now, that i try to visit it next year.  

@mebu, thanks for the tip about Armageddon's Walls, It looks as a book that have to fill up mine collection.