Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'PLACE OF DEATH'.

steve140968

I'm currently researching several soldiers from a local memorial on someones behalf , and i am looking for information especially 'place of death'. I have details from the CWGC site but i'm hoping someone may be able to pinpoint the soldiers regiments whereabouts on their date of death , many thanks .

the details are as follows -

PTE. FREDERICK GEORGE EASTOLL - 1st batallion Norfolk regiment , date of death - 27/07/1916 . Cemetery - Thiepval memorial .

PTE. HARRY ARTHUR HOUCHEN - 'B' coy 1st batallion Norfolk regiment , date of death - 05/11/1917 . Cemetery - St Sever cemetery ext , Rouen .

PTE. A . EASTOLL - 1st batallion Cambridgeshire regiment , date of death - 03/12/1916 . Cemetery - Duhallow A.D.S.cemetery .

PTE. EDWARD EAGLING - 1st batallion Lincolnshire regiment , date of death - 08/09/1914 . Cemetery - Bezu - le - Guery communal cemetery .

Any help would be very much appreciated , Steve . :)

Hi Steve, :)

1st Battalion Norfolk Regiment on 27-7-16.

In action Longueval 27-7/29-7. Came under heavy bombardment while forming up for attack-Lieutenant-Colonel P.V.P. Stone(Commanding Officer) noting that 'A' Company could hardly muster 1 Platoon, most of the rest having been buried by the shelling.

Offical History of The Great War records nevertheless- attack started punctually and the Norfolk on the right pushed well forward inside western edge of Delville Wood. Relieved and to Pommiers Redoubt(29-7).

Cheers

Tim.

:) Thanks Tim ,

this is a great help !

Regards ,

Steve .

The 1st Lincolnshires were part of II Corps, 3rd Division, 5th Brigade at the battle of the Marne on that day. Try this website to track them:

http://batmarn1.club.fr/edmoch16.htm

Utterly irrelevantly "Marne Avenue" is just round the corner from me...

The 1st Norfolks were part of the 15th Brigade, 5th Division. The 5th Division were part of an attack on the German Front Lines at the Somme on 22-23 July between Pozieres and 0Guillemont. 5th Divisions attack was between High Wood and Delville Wood opposite Flers. The attack was repulsed by the Germans. It is a possibility (only) that Private Eastoll was wound here and later DOW or was killed in the trenches as the Division held the line there.

EDIT : To tie in with Somme Soldiers post, Longueval was at the Divisions rear.

The 1st Norfolks were at Passchendaele (2nd Battle of) on 5-11-1917 but I have no details of that time.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

:) It most certainly does Steve , many thanks .

Steve .