Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hi,

I’ve recently used this forum to help find out why my Great Grandad (JW Fisher 40592 - Essex 4036-Lincs) may have been awarded the military medal. I’ve recently discovered his obituary which states that he was also mentioned in despatches.

I’ve found there are a lot on the gazette website but was wondering if anyone knew a faster way of finding him/another source of them or if I’m simply going to have to read each relevant one.

Thank you very much

Megan

Hi Megan

My Wife’s Grandfather was MiD twice in WW2. We found both entries in the London Gazette by entering the date of his award. However the Gazette does not contain citations and we found these amongst his service records which we applied for to MoD because WW2 service records are not yet available at TNA as they are yet to be released to public domain.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/12/2023 at 11:53, Lawryleslie said:

Hi Megan

My Wife’s Grandfather was MiD twice in WW2. We found both entries in the London Gazette by entering the date of his award. However the Gazette does not contain citations and we found these amongst his service records which we applied for to MoD because WW2 service records are not yet available at TNA as they are yet to be released to public domain.

Thank you very much for this. He fought in WW1 so I think the records would be in TNA by now? 

My Grandad did national service after WW2 in Germany. Do you think I’d be able to get these records from MOD? Was it an easy process?

Thank you for your help!

Military Medal https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30540/supplement/2419 His Majesty the KING has been graciously pleased to confer the Military Medal for Bravery in the Field to the undermentioned Non-Commissioned Officers and Men: — ... 40592 Pte. J. W. Fisher, Essex E. (Spalding) [Any citation or explanation for a MM will not be published in the LG - possibly in a war diary and/or in a local newspaper]

Appears in this other thread in more detail 

5 hours ago, MegJ said:

Thank you very much for this. He fought in WW1 so I think the records would be in TNA by now? 

My Grandad did national service after WW2 in Germany. Do you think I’d be able to get these records from MOD? Was it an easy process?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Megan

you can apply for relatives service records here. https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-records-of-service/apply-for-the-records-of-a-deceased-serviceperson

There may be a fee, we paid £30 for my wife’s Grandads records but well worth it.

PS it’s now free to apply.

Goid luck 

LL

Edited by Lawryleslie