Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Special Mission to Ireland 1917

Perth Digger

On 7 November 1917, while flying DH4 A7654 with Cpl Harold Smith as Observer, 2nd Lt BRH Carter, aged 19, crashed on landing at Llangefni, Anglesey and was killed. He was in 19 Training Squadron based at Hounslow and had taken off from there. He was on 'a special mission' to Ireland.

Does anyone know what this mission was? 

Thanks

Mike 

According to the D.H.4/D.H.9 File, A7654 and five others were despatched from Hounslow to Anglesey for anti U-boat work.  Carter stalled turning downwind to land in a 40 mph wind.

Graeme

Many thanks, Graeme. His Vault Casualty Card says he was en route to Ireland, which made me wonder if there might be some secret service stuff. No such luck!

Mike

Hi chaps,

No. 19 Training Squadron's predecessor in Ireland was sometimes referred to as the 'Special Squadron'. See example below. (TNA WO 35/173).

It was under Bloomfield and later Mulcahy Morgan. 'Training' was something of a misnomer for it was equipped with bombs, guns etc, though it got to focus on training as the various reorganisations and restructurings of the RFC in Ireland saw Nos. 105 and 106 Squadrons become the service squadrons.

It's therefore possible that the casualty could have been part of a contingent due to transfer to Ireland.

2017-Kew(280).JPG.ef217e69d3c74a2e5ea3949ac8c9655a.JPG

Thanks, Airshipped. 19 TS was based at Hounslow, which is why I was curious about Carter being sent so far away. But I now see that he was in fact posted/attached, most likely to to the Special Squadron in Ireland, with a number of others in a normal procedure. Officially, he still appears to have been with 19 TS when he crashed.

Mike