Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mudros harbour, the origin of the cairn

b3rn

If you've visited Lemnos island, and the harbour of Mudros, you've probably seen the large cairn at the tip of the West Mudros peninsula.

There are lots of stories about its origin, most suggesting it was built during the Allied occupation of the island in the First World War.

I had a crack at the puzzle in this blog post:

https://sites.google.com/norestforthewicked.net/lemnos-pyramid-puzzle/home

You are encouraged to shoot down my argument and speculative theory. Also suggested as builders are Australian engineers, men of the Egyptian Labour Corps, White Russians and Cossacks. No money yet on aliens.

412563819_1745421622589978_6044959963973027238_n.jpg

Henry Fanshawe Tozer wrote a book published in 1890 called ‘The islands of the Aegean’ and in the chapter on Lemnos he describes the following…..

The promontory is a low bluff, far from imposing in its appearance; indeed, as regards height, it is one of the least striking points in Lemnos. This is noticeable, because this spot has usually been fixed upon as the position chosen for the fire-beacon which intervened between those on Ida and Athos, in the chain of signals by which Agamemnon announced the taking of Troy to Clytaemnestra at Argos. 

MB

Edit - this long-range communication system using fire beacons was known as Fryktoria/Phryctoria.

Edited by KizmeRD

MD, thank you for pointing me to this fascinating book.

However, the promontory is another. Admiralty charts name it Kharos.

We were now approaching Cape Plaka, the north-eastern promontory of Lemnos, which is separated from the nearest point of Imbros by an interval of twelve miles. Before reaching it, my Lemnian fellow-passenger pointed out to me the position of the Mythonaes shoal, an extensive submarine reef which projects into the sea for several miles along the eastern coast. This serves as a protection to the island by forming a barrier to resist the current of the Dardanelles, which otherwise would break violently on its shores; but at the same time it is a source of danger to vessels, which are liable to be carried on to it owing to the force and the irregular movement of the stream. The promontory is a low bluff, far from imposing in its appearance; indeed, as regards height, it is one of the least striking points in Lemnos. This is noticeable, because this spot has usually been fixed upon as the position chosen for the fire-beacon which intervened between those on Ida and Athos, in the chain of signals by which Agamemnon announced the taking of Troy to Clytaemnestra at Argos. The neighbouring cliffs have also been regarded as the site of Philoctetes' cave...

image.png.1b34ad84686bd01b4f251f53774369ab.png