Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone ID this WW1 artillery?

wrightdw

It's a British 18-pdr Mk IV produced from around 1919. By this time, the carriage design had been completly changed to a box trail (from a pole trail) and to mount the gun above the hydro-pneumatic recoil system rather than hung below it as in the original marks of gun. This carriage went on to form the basis of the so-called 18/25-pdrs (Mk I 25-pdr) that were used at the time of Dunkirk.

Edited by Spaceman

Photo of the Mk IV from the 1921 handbook.

Also I have been told but not personally verified that the first Mk IV were produced in 1918 and that there was a trials deployment of a battery on the Western Front just before the end of the war.

image.png.b1b0f56e47e92a70546b0ace13136832.png

image.png.fcfde92728b51623c242675f4a1c0326.png

On 19/12/2023 at 06:21, Spaceman said:

It's a British 18-pdr Mk IV produced from around 1919. By this time, the carriage design had been completly changed to a box trail (from a pole trail) and to mount the gun above the hydro-pneumatic recoil system rather than hung below it as in the original marks of gun. This carriage went on to form the basis of the so-called 18/25-pdrs (Mk I 25-pdr) that were used at the time of Dunkirk.

I find the MkIV 18PR / MkI 25PR quite interesting as I have a 1938 dated 25PR case that I assume was fired by a MkI 25PR gun. (The very earliest cases were marked 3.45” rather than 25PR) What seem to be really rare are interwar dated 18PR cases - presumably they had a vast supply of reloadable WWI manufactured cases available to use.

IMG_1492.jpeg

That is interesting peregrin.

For interest here is a live 18 pdr shell (S for Shrapnel?) fired on the battlefield in North Russia in 1918 or 1919 and recovered 100 years later.

S Mk I

18 PDR

PHOENIX B

BS

18pdr.jpg

Interesting example. To me that looks like SMK = Smoke.

BS = Billet Steel (made of)

4 hours ago, peregrinvs said:

I find the MkIV 18PR / MkI 25PR quite interesting as I have a 1938 dated 25PR case that I assume was fired by a MkI 25PR gun. (The very earliest cases were marked 3.45” rather than 25PR) What seem to be really rare are interwar dated 18PR cases - presumably they had a vast supply of reloadable WWI manufactured cases available to use.

As I understand it, the 25-pdr Mk I fired fixed rounds like the previous 18-pdr and it wasn't until the 25-pdr Mk II that it's howitzer capability forced the use of separately loaded ammunition to allow the charge to be varied. However, I'm not sure you would be able to tell from this shell case whether it was loaded with the shell attached?

In terms of inter-war 18-pdr cases, it's probably a case (no pun intended) that spent shell cases only become available to the public from those picked up on battlefields as in WW1 and WW2.

I was under the impression that all 25PR ammunition was separate loading and the MkII gun didn’t start entering service until early 1940.

Yes you’re probably right about the source of souvenired cases. That probably explains why interwar dated British cartridge cases are generally scarce (in my experience). They would have stayed in the system and been recycled.

At the other end of the time scale, I have a fired but un-rusted 1906 dated 18PR MkI shrapnel shell with matching 1906 dated No.80 fuze. I think the most simple explanation for their survival is that some Edwardian person picked them up off a British range.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm these are 18 Pdr. shells?

What type of fuze is the second one?

BTW, it's not me in the photo!

1.jpg

4.jpg

Edited by wrightdw

They are all French 75mm. The five cartridges in the top image are Shrapnel; the projectile in the lower image is HE, fitted with a Model 1916 Lefevre elongated instantaneous percussion fuze - ("fusée Instantanée Allongée Mle 16 Lefevre").

Edited by 14276265

Thanks for the confirmations.