Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Smith Dorrien Trench Neuve Chapelle location

Skipman

Is there such a thing as a map that shows where Smith Dorrien Trench was in relation to Neuve Chapelle in late October 1914. The body of a 1st Wiltshire soldier was apparently buried 300 yards west of Neuve Chapelle Church. Am trying to work out when he might have fallen or which particular part of the day's action, and possibly which Company he was in when he fell.

There are a couple of useful threads but no map

Mike

Edited by Skipman

On this web page, it says "By 9am the line of the Smith-Dorrien trench, 200 yards beyond the Port Arthur-Neuve Chapelle road had been reached...."

Looking at map m_010742, that description would be the trench running SW/NE through square 5. Other sites call it the Smith-Dorrien line.

Howard

Name: Richebourg
Sheet: 36 SW 3
Scale: 1:10,000
Edition: 7B 1916
Secret Edition, number 193 German Trenches corrected to 8-8-1916, British Trenches corrected to 9-9-1916. Printed 9/09/1916
Id: m_010742

NeuveChapelle.jpg

Found it.

On https://www.pierreswesternfront.nl/artois-neuve-chapelle-richebourg  is a poor black map, but that shows Smith Dorrien trench.

The site also has a low resolution crop from an Official History map that (just) shows it.

You can use TrenchMapper to see better maps and trace the trench, even if not named. The OH map agrees with my first post, the trench east of the Port Arthur-Neuve Chapelle road.

If you right click, choose Map ID Jump with ID set to oh-1915-volume1-map02, you can see it is a line rather than a specific trench.

Howard

Name: Official History 1915 Volume 1 Map 02
Sheet: Map 2
Scale:
Edition: 1925
Id: oh-1915-volume1-map02

SDtrench2.jpg

SDtrench.jpg

Edited by Howard
Added map

41 minutes ago, Howard said:

you can see it is a line rather than a specific trench.

Interesting Howard and a great bit of detective work.  Expanding the OH map on a large screen shows that while it was called Smith Dorrien Trench, in comparison with  the others (shown in green ink) I can see why you describe it as a line.

image.png.2ea319b66a7ba8ccb248993847c14f7e.png

Excellent Howard. I don't have time to study at moment but will get back to you. I have the OH/Maps on disk but it's not working with my new machine yet.

Mike

1 minute ago, Skipman said:

Excellent Howard. I don't have time to study at moment but will get back to you. I have the OH/Maps on disk but it's not working with my new machine yet.

Mike

They are all on TrenchMapper, just run down the list a long way.

Howard