Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What's the medal?

58 Div Mule

I attach a RPPC that I've had in my collection for some time.

A Royal Marine Artilleryman with his wife/sister/fiancee. 

Any idea about the first medal. I think he has a 1914/14-15 Trio, but what's the first......

20231218_153044.jpg

20231218_153105.jpg

20231218_153154.jpg

Appears to me to be BWM/ ?/ Victory. That first ribbon does not appear to be a 1914-15 star to me.

His Service record  would reveal if Tom had indicated his surname!

Edited by RNCVR

I think we have to remember that the image was probably taken with orthochromatic film, which does the following to colours:

Red, Orange & Yellow go darker sometimes nearly black.
Blue & Purple go lighter, sometimes nearly white.

Green remains a mid-tone.

In this image, Left is BWM, Right is the Victory Medal. Middle...A Star?

This picture originally posted by Andrew Upton I think shows how colours appear for campaign medal ribbons:

AU.jpg

Three medals.  BWM, Mercantile Marine Medal and VM.  Possibly scenario: prior medal earning service (BWM/Mercantile Marine medal) with Merchant/Fishing fleet before further medal earning service with RMA (BWM already qualified/VM).  Rare but not unheard of.  4 x Overseas Service stripes and one GC stripe.  

BWM MercM VM.jpg

Edited by TullochArd

1 hour ago, TullochArd said:

Three medals.  BWM, Mercantile Marine Medal and VM.  Possibly scenario: prior medal earning service (BWM/Mercantile Marine medal) with Merchant/Fishing fleet before further medal earning service with RMA (BWM already qualified/VM).  Rare but not unheard of.  4 x Overseas Service stripes and one GC stripe.  

BWM MercM VM.jpg

You have it mate!

My goodness, the Forum may well have done it again!
I can’t tell you how long I’ve spent puzzling over this PC.

RNCVR, Dai, Sue and Tulloch - thank you very much.

I think you’ve cracked the medals and I’m now hopeful they’re a young married couple too. I hope they had a very long and happy life together?

Seasons greetings and thanks to all.

58 DM.

@58 Div Mule   Well Tom obviously survived to get married & receive his medals.  Unfortunate no surname so he could be researched, but I expect he saw no need to add it as everyeone he would have sent the RPPC to knew who he (& & possibly his new bride) were anyway.

As an aside, they kind of look somewhat alike, I am wondering ifit might be his sister???

@RNCVR you may well be right, there is a similarity around the eyes?
I’m really chuffed with the identification of the medals (all credit to @TullochArd)

An unusual group to the RMA I suspect.

58 DM.

@58 Div Mule  Yes, could be, their faces seem very similar to me, the mouths, eyes, noses, & just the oval construction of their faces.

Lets get  @FROGSMILE  involved or @Dai Bach y Sowldiwr   they are pretty good with faces.

3 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

@58 Div Mule  Yes, could be, their faces seem very similar to me, the mouths, eyes, noses, & just the oval construction of their faces.

Lets get  @FROGSMILE  involved or @Dai Bach y Sowldiwr   they are pretty good with faces.

I don’t think that the man and woman are related by blood Bryan.  Their facial features look too different.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Well I thought they looked somewhat alike!  But I am not great with faces.

2 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Well I thought they looked somewhat alike!  But I am not great with faces.

Eye sockets, lips, jawlines and ears are all quite different to my eyes.  For example her jawline is square, his is pointed. 

I think there are similarities.
The distance between the lips and the tip of the chin is quite large for both, certainly  above average.
Although we can't see both of the lady's ears fully - the right ear is partly obscured by hair, but her left (visible ) ear is quite chunky and similar to the soldier's.

The soldier has prominent naso-labal grooves either sde of his nose, and the lady also has similar skin creases.
So, I'd say you can't exclude them beng related.

The last resort of the clueless (me) is an online facial recognition site. I'm not good at faces and it's late, but cropping faces and submitting will give a percentage similarity.

2 minutes ago, depaor01 said:

The last resort of the clueless (me) is an online facial recognition site. I'm not good at faces and it's late, but cropping faces and submitting will give a percentage similarity.

I’d be interested in what that reveals because as it stands and based upon on what I can visually analyse, I’d happily wager that they are not blood relations.

Edited by FROGSMILE

This is the rather unkind results for the OP's photo;

However, it does state it is primarily designed for entertainment purposes and casual use. Its results may not meet the stringent requirements of professional forensics or ancestry research.

For that level of comparison one has to pay up.

TEW

compare-fYSa.jpg.023d4791486041927f73cab3d86d7045.jpg

24 minutes ago, TEW said:

This is the rather unkind results for the OP's photo;

However, it does state it is primarily designed for entertainment purposes and casual use. Its results may not meet the stringent requirements of professional forensics or ancestry research.

For that level of comparison one has to pay up.

TEW

compare-fYSa.jpg.023d4791486041927f73cab3d86d7045.jpg

Thank you TEW, even allowing for a margin of error I agree with the conclusion.

Thanks to all for their contributions. I’m very pleased with the identification of the medals being worn.

Rather a harsh result on the issue of facial recognition/family likeness!
It’s a nice PC.

58 DM.