Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ww1 British p37 style canteen

hightlander138

I do not think that a cup like this was ever used in British service. Suggest you research mills webbing variants used by Portugal, Belgium and Netherlands, with strongest suspicion Portugal.

The one above is the traditional Portuguese water bottle used with the Portuguese leather equipment set, adopted for use with the m1904 6.5mm Veguiro Mauser rifle. The leather set was nominally the standard Portuguese equipment and was used by Portuguese troops in all of the colonies in particular in Mozambique against the German troops from South West Afrika (modern Tanzania). 

The Portuguese troops on the western front were largely supplied by the UK and used webbing equipment of a minor pattern supplied by the Mills company. Details of the variations of this equipment during the war and its evolution after the war is badly documented in the English language. The captive steel cup under the canteen is why I strongly suspect that it is Portuguese.

Hi,I think the canteen and cover and web is from ww2 (British manufacture),the cup is probably a Portuguese(ww1) addition to the kit in that period,thanks for your help

25 minutes ago, hightlander138 said:

Hi,I think the canteen and cover and web is from ww2 (British manufacture),the cup is probably a Portuguese(ww1) addition to the kit in that period,thanks for your help

The canteen carrier is an interesting design, are there any manufacturer marks/stamps on it? (on the insider of the carrier or the inside of the straps)

It is a little difficult to tell from the picture - what size (width) are the side buckles (and the strap that runs under)

Chris