Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

24 Brigade - which division Oct 1915-July 1916

Ken Wayman

I'm researching a lad from 1/Worcestershire (from 12 Dec '14 to 27 July '16). 24 Bde was with 8th Div but Becke has a note that says on 18/10/15 the brigade was transferred to 23 Div and not returned to 8th Div until 15/7/16. Yet this does not square with 23 Div war diary. In the drop-down 'brigade' box for 23 Div 24 Bde does not appear, neither does 1/Worcs in the battalion 'drop-down' box. Can anyone resolve this for me please? The 1 July map in McCarthy shows 8th Div comprising 23, 25 and 70 Div. Similarly, McC's map for 7 July shows 24 Bde under 23 Div command in the line at Shelter Alley. "23 Div HQ war diary cites 24 Bde as active  (and complimented) on 7 July. The return of 24 Bde to 8th is cited in the same diary as commencing on 15 July. I am utterly confused. Help!

Ken

Edited by Ken Wayman

I've just found a small reference to 24 Bde 'rejoining 8th Division' tucked away in 1/Worcestershire WD for 15/7/16. I've also found in the service record of another lad from the same battalion who died on 10 July a reference to him being admitted to 69 Field Ambulance on 27 Nov 1915; a unit that was part of 23 Div.  A passing comment is made on 18 Oct to moving to 23 Div but the diary continues as if nothing has changed.

Ken

Edited by Ken Wayman