Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Information on Short Sword: Feldartillerie-Regiment König Karl (1. Württembergisches) Nr. 13

Amzylee

Hello! My mother has just inherited a short sword from her late father and we were looking for some possible historical information on it. We don’t have any context to start- where it came from (only that it has been in the family for decades upon decades) or if someone gave this to her great grandfather when he was in the service. But here are a few pictures. Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

72457401051__B8FA089E-AD7F-41A7-9D5B-7455C53B7FFA.jpeg

72457403081__38EB8811-ABA2-4C45-8F99-2C9DB1BBFCFE.jpeg

IMG_9622.jpeg

Edited by Amzylee

You have there a Extra dress Artill.Faschinenmesser M1849, which was used on various artillery units, with this dedication i assume it was part of Deutsches Reich also post 1871. The regiment was raised even 1874 and there is in etch probably the kaserne in Ulm. Koenig Karl was established as owner of regiment since 1889 so the blade was etched post this datum, near crossguard in area of blade could be the maker, should be looking with magnifying glass? I would oil the surface to stop additional rust.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feldartillerie-Regiment_„König_Karl“_(1._Württembergisches)_Nr._13

Edited by AndyBsk

Great job there Andy!

Thank you Andy!! I can’t believe you were able to give all that info with just a few pictures! We were blown away. Now we just gotta figure out how to get it cleaned without damaging the metal. 😅

Thanks for nice words, i would probably do nothing on that etched area only oil it, only on rusted part near crossguard with brass wool and oiling it could be gently cleaned wout done any new scratches. I would not clean the handle as it have a nice old patina, the cleaning process should be ended by wipping of finger prints and adding oil or renesaince wax.