Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Richard Morris 3656 Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry

TomWW1

Hello this is yet again another relative on my tree that I know is related anyway I have his Medal Card, Service Records and a Photo but I wanted to know if there was a way I could find a group photo of the ox and bucks light infantry with him in this may be a stupid question so forgive me

IMG_2235.jpeg

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2237.jpeg

2 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

Hello this is yet again another relative on my tree that I know is related anyway I have his Medal Card, Service Records and a Photo but I wanted to know if there was a way I could find a group photo of the ox and bucks light infantry with him in this may be a stupid question so forgive me

IMG_2235.jpeg

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2237.jpeg

UPDATE: I’m blind it says on the paperwork which battalion he was in

2 hours ago, TomWW1 said:

UPDATE: I’m blind it says on the paperwork which battalion he was in

Men did commonly move around during their service

As you seem to have noted  for Richard MORRIS ... the Attestation paper records 4th Bn Ox & Bucks

For George R. MORRIS, 24691 ... The MIC's Medal Roll may indicate within which Bn he entered a ToW

For George Richard MORRIS, 24691 ... CWGC records 2nd Bn Ox & Bucks https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1545878/george-richard-morris

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add names for clarity

1 hour ago, Matlock1418 said:

The MIC's Medal Roll may indicate within which Bn he entered a ToW

The Medal Rolls (image courtesy of ancestry) shows that he entered a ToW with the 3rd Battalion before serving with the 6th battalion and then with the 2nd Battalion.

Morris_24691.jpg

5 minutes ago, Allan1892 said:

The Medal Rolls (image courtesy of ancestry) shows that he entered a ToW with the 3rd Battalion before serving with the 6th battalion and then with the 2nd Battalion.

:thumbsup: Thanks Alan.

M

2 hours ago, TomWW1 said:

IMG_2235.jpeg

I note the photo is titled G. H. MORRIS - are you sure he is George Richard MORRIS?

Knowing the date and title of the newspaper report may assist in helping determine - as may the address shown.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add 'and title'

12 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

I note the photo is titled G. H. MORRIS

Looking at the CWGC site for men called Morris with a 'G' in the given names comes up with 4 in addition to George Richard Morris, they are:

13844 G Morris 6th Btn Oxs & Bucks -- died 3/9/16

200370 G Morris 1st/4th Oxs & Bucks -- died 17/6/18

5459 George Morris 2nd/4th Oxa & Bucks -- died 1/7/16

203318 Harold George Morris 1st/1st Oxs & Bucks -- died 19.8/17

Nothing for a G H Morris

32 minutes ago, Matlock1418 said:

the address

Hayfield-road ... There are several around the UK

However, the pension index card at WFA/Fold3 for Richard George MORRIS, 24691, Ox & Bucks, shows his widow Florence Annie MORRIS, b. 23.8.82, living at 42 Hayfield Rd, Oxford, with five children.

One has to rather suspect that a the newspaper could possibly have got his second initial incorrect in the photo title - seems a fairly plausible typo error given the similar shape of the capital letters for R & H

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add 'photo'

1 minute ago, Matlock1418 said:

Hayfield-road ... There are several around the UK

However, the pension index card at WFA/Fold3 for Richard George MORRIS shows his widow Florence Annie MORRIS, b. 23.8.82 living at 42 Hayfield Rd, Oxford, with five children.

One has to rather suspect that a the newspaper could possibly have got his second initial incorrect in the title - seems a fairly plausible typo error given the similar shape of the capital letters for R & H

M

Well confirmed that the image is G R Morris

• 2 months later...

24691 Private George Richard MORRIS

Born in Headington Quarry in 1881, the son of James Richard Morris and Matilda Elizabeth Goodgame.

At the time of the 1891 census George Richard Morris (9) was living in Quarry with his father James Richard (33), his mother Matilda (31), and his younger siblings Matilda (7), Frank (4), and Walter (seven months).

In 1901 George Richard (19) was working as a non-domestic gardener and living at “The Pits” in Quarry (probably 38 Pitts Road, where the family was living after the war) with his parents and his three siblings: Matilda (17) was working in the home; Frank (14) was also a gardener; and Walter (10) was at school.

On 7 May 1904 George Richard Morris (22) married Florence Annie Cooper (21), and they had six children:

Gertrude May Morris, 23 June 1905.

Arthur Richard Morris, 1906.

Frederick Morris 14 November 1908.

Charles Edward Morris, 1911.

George W. Morris,1913.

Florence E. M. Morris, September 1915.

George Richard and his wife began their married life in Quarry, but between 1906 and 1908 they moved to 20 Harpes Road in north Oxford.

1911 census George Richard Morris (29), described as a domestic gardener, was living at 42 Hayfield Road in St Margaret’s parish with his wife Florence (28), and two of their first three children.

Enlisted 1 Jul 1916, into 3rd Res Bn, O&BLI, England; to 6th Bn; France & Flanders; to 2nd Bn, D Coy; F & F; Bapaume – Albert.

28 Feb 1917, Killed in action, age 34.

No known grave - Thiepval Mem, Somme, France, Pier & Face 10A & 10D.

The Captain of his Company wrote as follows to his wife on 6 March 1917:

Dear Mrs. Morris

I write to express my deepest sympathy with you in the loss of your husband, No. 24601 Private Morris, of my company. I am more sorry than I can express in words. He had not been with us very long but he proved himself to be a really good man, and one on whom I could always rely. The price of victory in this struggle will be very great but it is such men as your husband who make it inevitable sooner or later.   He died for a glorious cause. May God bless you in your trouble is my prayer. Yours sincerely, D. To Barnes, Capt. Commanding 'D' Company