Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

To the Last Ridge by W. H. Downing

Dust Jacket Collector

I thought this might be of interest as Downing’s book is often mentioned as being amongst the very best of Australian memoirs. Published by H. H. Champion in 1920 this is the first copy in its jacket that I’ve seen.

Downing was a law student in Melbourne prior to the War & served as an NCO in the 57th Battalion, AIF from mid-1916 until the end. He was awarded the MM after the action at Polygon Wood on the Somme. It’s a remarkably well written account particularly on the battle of Fromelles on the 19th July 1916. There seem to be several recent paperback issues available, one of which uses this same image by the illustrator Leyshon White.IMG_0861.jpeg.bfb70529937efd0b31b2521d5616b7b6.jpeg

A very rare find , well done . I did see an original copy for £30 not that long ago , seemed ages until someone eventually bought it . I suppose most people who want a copy are just content with a cheap paperback .

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

A very rare find , well done . I did see an original copy for £30 not that long ago , seemed ages until someone eventually bought it . I suppose most people who want a copy are just content with a cheap paperback .

Remarkably it came all the way from Australia in 7 days and only £10 postage!

39 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Remarkably it came all the way from Australia in 7 days and only £10 postage!

That's very impressive . A lot of people moan about postage costs but i never begrudge paying it , as i still think it's amazing that a book can travel thousands of miles from a seller across the world to your door for a few pounds . 

On 14/12/2023 at 16:21, Black Maria said:

More to the point, they want a copy they can read continuously, throw in a bag and take on holiday etc., without having to fret over whether a hundred-year-old book will fall apart or be lost. 

3 hours ago, Justin Moretti said:

More to the point, they want a copy they can read continuously, throw in a bag and take on holiday etc., without having to fret over whether a hundred-year-old book will fall apart or be lost. 

The point is there are very few collectors of original memoirs compared with those who aren't .

On this point, do you ever take books on holiday to read? I daren't take my original copies. I end up buying a cheap modern copy to read without fear!

On 21/12/2023 at 21:16, other ranker said:

On this point, do you ever take books on holiday to read? I daren't take my original copies. I end up buying a cheap modern copy to read without fear!

Me too !