Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ariel Lowe Varges

pete-c

The above man was responsible for the filming of many aspects of events in the Macedonian theatre of the war.  Could anyone provide a date for when he might have arrived in Salonika?

Cheers,

Peter.

Hi Peter,

I have a similar interest in Varges, and bought a book called American Cinematographers in the Great War 1914-1918, although I haven't fully digested it yet.

He was in Serbia and Salonika during 1915/1916, leaving for the Middle East in March 1917. He took still photographs and film in Mespot - I used these in an article in the ASWW1AH journal last year.

Remarkable photographs and film, an under-appreciated contributor to the historical record.

8 hours ago, b3rn said:

Hi Peter,

I have a similar interest in Varges, and bought a book called American Cinematographers in the Great War 1914-1918, although I haven't fully digested it yet.

He was in Serbia and Salonika during 1915/1916, leaving for the Middle East in March 1917. He took still photographs and film in Mespot - I used these in an article in the ASWW1AH journal last year.

Remarkable photographs and film, an under-appreciated contributor to the historical record.

Hello Bern,

I must admit to only becoming aware of this chap a few days ago.  What a fascinating character!  He certainly got about, didn't he.  I was checking out this very book on-line only this morning so I'd be interested to know what you think of it.  This is a bit of a cheek, but you know me ... and I would be very grateful ... could you keep an eye out in the book for any references to his work in Salonika.

All the best.