Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th Division

Ralph J. Whitehead

Hello,

I have a photo taken of a group of captured British soldiers. They were apparently captured during a trench raid that took place on the night of 6/7 April 1916 against the 29th Division on the Somme.

I was wondering if anyone has any information on which unit they might belong to and if anyone might have a battalion diary or other account from the British side.

From what I can tell the 119th RIR was sent out to verify that the 29th Division, formerly in Egypt, was now on the Somme and the prisoners were ample proof it would seem. Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Ralph

P.S. Unfortunately all of the prisoners are missing their cap badges, probably taken as souvenirs or for intelligence purposes.

According to Capt Gillons divisional history on the 6th the 87th Brigade was raided after an artillery and trench mortar bombardment of the Mary Redan area. When this lifted a party of Germans entered the trenches held by 2 South Wales Borders and "removed the survivors, about fourteen in number, with a loss of four killed"

Does this match up?

Ali

I'll check what the 1st Innis. Fus history says Ralph. Be back to you.

Although you may have already got the answer :)

Edited by Desmond7

According to Capt Gillons divisional history on the 6th the 87th Brigade was raided after an artillery and trench mortar bombardment of the Mary Redan area. When this lifted a party of Germans entered the trenches held by 2 South Wales Borders and "removed the survivors, about fourteen in number, with a loss of four killed"

Does this match up?

Ali

This does sound right. Could you tell me where the Mary Redan was located? I only have German map references for the Somme and German names of different locations, thanks.

Ralph

I'll check what the 1st Innis. Fus history says Ralph. Be back to you.

Although you may have already got the answer :)

Thanks Des, I think the response shown above has the details of the raid. The men look a bit shocked and rather unhappy, still they are alive.

Ralph

Mary Redan was on the Divisional boundary between 36th and 29th on July 1 Ralph - it sticks out like nose on a face. See your July 1 trench maps for Ancre North sector.

Des

Guest amaswazi

Hi,

The SWB history confirms that a dozen men trapped in a dug-out by the ferocious bombardment were captured. Overall the battalion suffered 29 KiA and DoW, 18 missing and 36 wounded. A bad night. It was calculated that 8000 shells fell on their positions completely smashing up the front line trenches, the wire and damaging communication trenches. The Borders & Inniskillings sent working parties to repair the damage.

Cheers

Meurig

Thanks Meurig,

Great information. At least 16 of those missing are in the photo, only 1 seems to have a bandaged hand, on the left. Could see it in the blown up photo.

Ralph