Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13pr 1915 please could you help

Kuchulu

Hello, I bought this for my dad's birthday to paint in a still life, and store his paint brushes, and to cherish because his Uncle died on the Somme. We were discussing all the markings. Please can you help? The only things I have possibly learned are  the date 1915, 13 pounder shell casing, cordite filled (?) and 1 use?? 

I don't know about KF or CO or the numbers and would be grateful for your help - especially to know it's origin and which gun would have fired it. Thank you so much for your help. 

17024213661831767201948975447568.jpg

17024214766751170020189229064225.jpg

17024215025758603798534846790399.jpg

17024215335208889382027175893239.jpg

The 13-pr MkI case and the No.1 MkII (India Pattern) primer were made at the Gun and Shell Factory, Cossipore, India - CO monogram. Both were filled at Kirkee, India - KF monogram. The primer was filled May 1915.

The case has the Indian stamp of a broad arrow over letter I for stores accepted in India, and the acceptance date of 24 July 1915.

Well that is so very interesting. Thank you so very much indeed for your excellent knowledge. :)

And just one more thing, do you perhaps know which type of weapon this shell would have been fired from? Thank you very much. 

It was fired by a 13-pr field gun, or to give it its formal nomenclature Ordnance, QF, 13 Pounder. Searching on this forum or elsewhere should throw up some images and loads of detail and history.

Fascinating - and yet a truly soberingly gruesome reality to contend with. Thank you very much indeed for your help. I'm eagerly researching away now to educate myself! I look forward to talking with my dad about it.

I really appreciate your knowledge and the time you took to reply. All the best! 

Info on the QF 13 Pounder field gun here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_13-pounder_gun

Still in use with the Kings Troop, Royal Horse Artillery. Another little fact I like is that the first shot fired by British artillery on the Western Front in WWI was fired by a 13 Pounder.

Thank you very much. That is indeed a very interesting fact, as (I'm ashamed to say) all of this information is completely new to me. 

After learning the origin of the shell case last night, I read about the boys and men from India travelling to Europe in lightweight cotton and ending up on the Western Front. 

Do you think - or can we know - if this shell case might have been fired by the Indian corps on the Western Front from the QF 13 Pounder Field Gun?

It is engraved Mons, Aisne, Ypres and Somme to the front but of course this might have been added anytime and anywhere. 

I can't get over the sorrow of all of this.

So many thanks to you both @peregrinvs and @14276265

AFAIK It could have been used by any Imperial unit. The engraving was probably added postwar by a Belgian or French civilian to make a souvenir for battlefield tourists.