Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Identifying Brodie Helmet

bluefuze

Hi everyone! I could use your help!

My 12 yr old son is a massive WWI history buff, and wants a Brodie helmet for Christmas.

I came across this here, but I'm not sure how to identify it. Is is real or replica? To me it looks real, but I have no way to know.

If it is real, based on the markings, does anyone know what country and year?

Thanks!

IMG_7415.jpeg

IMG_7416.jpeg

4 hours ago, bluefuze said:

...My 12 yr old son is a massive WWI history buff, and wants a Brodie helmet for Christmas.

I came across this here, but I'm not sure how to identify it. Is is real or replica? To me it looks real, but I have no way to know.

If it is real, based on the markings, does anyone know what country and year?...

The shell illustrated above appears real, but is a typical late 1930's/early WW2 production example of the type commonly called the Brodie. 

A typical example of the common late WW1 production Brodie should look like the following:

image.png.ffc68a4791dffb9463cbec5ffdf0ebb2.png

Points to note are the leather chinstrap, chin strap bails held by split rivets, black oil cloth liner, and wool liner in the crown. With the latter it's important to note this conceals an asbestos section, so given the associated dangers and rising cost associated with good condition originals you might want to consider giving him an all-new made replica in lieu, eg something like:

https://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/shop-re-enactment/british-ww1/clothing/ww1-british-mk1-brodie-helmet-10719.html

Edited by Andrew Upton

Andrew, great post from an expert.  While I have zero expertise on this, it immediately struck me how good the steel looked on the OP's example.  When I look at museums or antique shops, things that are well over 100 years old tend to have that distinctive patina from age, no matter how well stored.  In photos from the Australian War Memorial, even the 1917 example they suspect was never issued, has that dull look.

https://www.awm.gov.au/articles/blog/introduction-military-helmets

I'm making no suggestions on the OP's photos, just a general buyer-beware and perhaps consider a brand-new replica.