Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cleaning rusty tins…advice needed.

Dave66

I have collected, over the years, a number of old tins…oxo, ration tins etc, that have usually ended up in someone’s garage full of carpet tacks, jubilee clips and old nails. They usually suffer with significant surface rust, so what, in all the collective years of experience we have on here, is the best or simplest remedy/product to remove this whilst leaving the printed finish as intact as possible.

Thoughts appreciated, a couple of examples below, the Duraglit wasn’t too bad so had a quick wipe over with WD 40, the oxo is WW1 era so a little more delicate and hasn’t been touched.

Thanks all,

Dave.

IMG_5433.jpeg

Edited by Dave66

Hello Dave,

Nasty little conundrum with these tins!!

I think that you cannot put anything more abrasive than a paper tissue on these exterior surfaces.

Professional conservators would likely wash with a VERY dilute soap solution (cold) or rubbing alcohol (cold) to remove grime.

Allow to thoroughly air-dry, then coat with Renaissance Wax ($$$), allow to dry and buff with a soft cloth.

For items like this, I would use whatever wax polish might be to hand (Johnson's Floor Wax or a car polish).

For interior surfaces, any active red rust must be removed(!), using e.g. bronze or brass wool (softer than steel; softer than tin plate ????) and a light oil.

Then treat as for exterior.

You will never see the original, bright colours again, but I think that you will be pleasantly surprised at the warm glow given by the wax polish.

Regards,

JMB

Good evening,

I am interested in this topic.
I have a few boxes to maintain and would like to protect them from the weather:

DSC_0030.JPG.0bb6f814b5afabd69ce1c14057fbb1a5.JPG

For the ones I found in the field, I passed them with oxalic acid - rinsing with soapy water - drying and then passing a colorless varnish in Spay :

DSC_0009.JPG.85acb2d38125ba2fffd12d44c62ff25f.JPG

I still have this one to deal with :

cream.JPG.ed9dfa4d814a3d874276e63610e81958.JPGDSC_0007.JPG.b4f3c05d0acee9c4ed7f9b216275bd49.JPG

michel

Thanks both for the replies, most useful, I’ve used all sorts of different combinations over the years, some good results and some not so good where it is very easy to remove the print😤…trial and error I suppose, but always useful to have hints and tips from others.

Dave.