Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VICKERS P1907 Hookie ? ? ?

ersatz

I've been adding to my British P1907 Hook Quillon bayonets and noticed in Skennerton's Commonwealth Bayonet Book that Vickers supposedly made an early '07 Hookie model.  However, there is no mention of production numbers, etc.

Does anyone here have a Vickers Hookie in their collection?  I'd like to see a photo or two if possible.  

Edited by ersatz

Sorry Gents, I misinterpreted Skennerton's reference to Vickers having made a P1907 Hooky.   My BAD!

ersatz,

Well, here is a "Rare Original" 1918 Vickers hooky ???, up for auction now. item no. 256335827916 with 11 bidders so far, if anyone else is interested in joining them.

What are we missing here?.

Cheers

s-l1600 (2).jpg

Well, t. ryan we're not missing anything, but the bidders appear to be without knowledge of the P1907 Hook Quillon bayonets.   The hook, '18 dated ricasso, and clearing/oil hole in the pommel are obvious give-aways.  Hate to see someone get bilked.    

Looks like the hook was welded there. By detailed comparison of crossguard it should be visible.

This is the result from a simple test done on what would have been a very rare US M1 bayonet sold last year and advertised as genuine. You can clearly see where the weld is; before test it was very hard to see any difference in colour. An yes, he got a full refund.

Thought It may come in handy to a collector with a similar situation in the future.

Cheers.

M1Weld1.jpg

M1Weld.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

The RARE Vickers hooky sold for U.S. $405.00 au $601.29. 11 bidders.

Cheers,

TR

On 07/01/2024 at 14:54, t.ryan said:

The RARE Vickers hooky sold for U.S. $405.00 au $601.29. 11 bidders.

As a 1918 hookie its was certainly rare.

A little over priced. To a re-enactor it should have been quite acceptable up to about aud$100

I'd say it was over priced.  I guess the buyer doesn't have a copy of Skennerton's book on British & Commonwealth Bayonets.