Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wallace Watkins 1651, Canadian Expeditionary Force, MID

Moonraker

I've just acquired an (empty) envelope with "90th Winnipeg Rifles" printed on the back and sent in January 1915 to Miss P M Watkins at Wootton Bassett. It's reasonable to assume that the sender was Wallace Watkins 1651 of the 8th Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force, camped on Salisbury Plain. Here's a snip from Wallace's service record:

:WallaceWatkins.jpg.04b62d61b4a2acc2391adad78029b523.jpg

I'm puzzled by his promotion to sergeant and his appointment to lance corporal on the same  day and the four references to his MID.  Thoughts, please! (I'm aware that elevation to lance corporal  was an appointment, not a promotion.)

When enlisting in Canada, Wallace gave the same UK address as on the envelope, though his relationship with Miss Watkins is not clear. On his attestation papers, Wallace gave her first name as "Mareiam". He had served two years in the Royal Navy.

Sorry but I think you’ve misread the record…..

Although his B103 was updated on the same date the promotions were on different dates. 

Promotion to Sgt looks like 26.11.1915.

The promotion to Lance Corporal is on the line following the promotion to Sgt is a late entry as he was promoted 28/7/1915.

I think the MID are multiple awards on diverse dates but you’ll need to check the London Gazette for certainty.

Steve

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, I was going by the dates in the left-hand column, which I now realise show when the entries were made.