Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Who recognizes this village/city in ruins?

AOK4

Hello,

Who knows which village or city can be seen on this picture from the German trenches across no man's land? I think it may be in Northern France (between the Belgian border and Lens).

Thanks,

Jan

panorama.jpg

Edited by AOK4

Good idea, I'll check whether I can confirm it with similar German panoramic views.

1 hour ago, AOK4 said:

Good idea, I'll check whether I can confirm it with similar German panoramic views.

Great photo ...... the tall factory like building in the distance suggests Loos and the early War wiring construction suggests 1915-ish to me ......

Industrial building or half-gutted church? If the latter it reminds me of Aubers.

Richard

good morning,

for me it'snt Loos (north to the France).

I collect any picture of Loos.

maybe arround Lens.

michel

in the Yellow Rectangle factory
in green : trees

in red : slag heap 

panorama.jpg.c606df16a112be3573717c9d91b0412f.jpg.eb2947cbe3d16adf4ee3dc4779a07ce7.jpg

maybe fossen°8 - Auchy les Mines

sure it's no Loos en Gohelle (fosse n°15/15bis & double crassier).

because in Loos, the ground is not flat.
the commune is between 2 hills (hill 69 = Dead Corner - hill 70 = between Loos & Lens).

michel

Hello,

Thanks for all your efforts.

I also think it should be rather early in the war. Could it be further south towards Arras? I can't remember exactly but I think this picture may have come from a small lot with either pictures from around Lens-Bethune or then northwest of Arras.

I have been trying to identify this view for ages without succes.

Jan

here is some views of Loos for exemple :

bedor the war :

vueprisedelancienneabbaye(1).jpg.3b497b4667a2c37caf6280b90dc4df1e.jpg

end 1914

Loos-vueduvillage-1915(1).jpg.3fb0ce3acd593a4834ebd96a57092792.jpg

regars

michel

Just now, battle of loos said:

here is some views of Loos for exemple :

bedor the war :

end 1914

regars

michel

I already thought Loos wasn't an option because of the clearly visible double crassier.

Jan

5 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

Hello,

Thanks for all your efforts.

I also think it should be rather early in the war. Could it be further south towards Arras? I can't remember exactly but I think this picture may have come from a small lot with either pictures from around Lens-Bethune or then northwest of Arras.

I have been trying to identify this view for ages without succes.

Jan

do you know the unit?

I have the same problem with a canadian & german picture

michel

1 minute ago, battle of loos said:

do you know the unit?

I have the same problem with a canadian & german picture

michel

No, unfortunately not.

And as I said, it is a picture taken from a German trench across no man's land towards a town behind the allied lines.

Edited by AOK4

The Battle of Loos was fought from 25 September until about 16 October 1915 in an area of coalmines and mining villages near the town of Lens, north of Arras ........I see slag heaps and industrial structures in this panoramic photo rather than churches and the like ........  Loos/Lens ....... we're getting warm ......

panorama.jpg.1.jpg

panorama.jpg.2.jpg

There is a picture of Fosse 8 on TLLT under Battles - Loos.

EDIT: Not Fosse 8 which was inside the Germal lines. My initial thought was somewhere near Vermelles.

Brian

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

I have been looking at 1915 maps. Perhaps Vermelles is too far away from the German lines. This map is from the September 1915 WD of 15 Div HQ GS. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1911/5.

A possible might be - The German line in G 34 looking at the Water Tower in G 33 c and the slag heap at Fosse 7 in G 27 c.  

Brian

15 HQ 1911.jpg

44 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

I have been looking at 1915 maps. Perhaps Vermelles is too far away from the German lines. This map is from the September 1915 WD of 15 Div HQ GS. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1911/5.

A possible might be - The German line in G 34 looking at the Water Tower in G 33 c and the slag heap at Fosse 7 in G 27 c.  

Brian

15 HQ 1911.jpg

good morning,

I doubt this position because the German trenches are descending to the south of Hill 70 (mark 33).
when you're in G34, you only see the top of the hill.
There is a difference of 10 meters in altitude.

when you're at that point (G34) right now, you barely see the top of Dud Corner.

Kind regards.

michel

Michel

Thanks

A few years ago I walked from the cemetery on the D 943 near Cite du N 7 (Fosse 7) across the tracks to the North of Loos to follow in the footsteps of my gf who was in 8 Bn Lincolns. I could not get across the fields to Puits 14 bis since there were no tracks and I had to come into Loos village and walk round to the airfield which is where Bois Hugo was. I was trying to remember the lie of the land.

I was also trying to look at 1915 maps in War Diaries to see if I could see a Tower and a slag heap to the right, and the nearest I could find was The Water Tower in Grenay (G 33) and the slag heap at Fosse 7 (G 27). There is another Water Tower marked in Vermelles (if the feature in the photo is a Water Tower) which is why I first thought it might be there, but I could not find a slag heap.

Perhaps the photo was taken from further north and does indeed point at Vermelles. 

Brian

It seems to remain a bit of a mystery... I have been looking at this picture several times over the years without succes. Unfortunately the big building in the centre (ruined church?) is just not sharp enough to make something more of it.

Jan

1 hour ago, brianmorris547 said:

Michel

Thanks

A few years ago I walked from the cemetery on the D 943 near Cite du N 7 (Fosse 7) across the tracks to the North of Loos to follow in the footsteps of my gf who was in 8 Bn Lincolns. I could not get across the fields to Puits 14 bis since there were no tracks and I had to come into Loos village and walk round to the airfield which is where Bois Hugo was. I was trying to remember the lie of the land.

I was also trying to look at 1915 maps in War Diaries to see if I could see a Tower and a slag heap to the right, and the nearest I could find was The Water Tower in Grenay (G 33) and the slag heap at Fosse 7 (G 27). There is another Water Tower marked in Vermelles (if the feature in the photo is a Water Tower) which is why I first thought it might be there, but I could not find a slag heap.

Perhaps the photo was taken from further north and does indeed point at Vermelles. 

Brian

Here is a map with 2 paths starting from Quality Street Cemetery:
Red: 21st Division Route
Blue: 47th Division Itinerary

loosaera-Copie.jpg.687e27b948d8c2f386f0dd3189fe6069.jpg

I live in Loos, not far from Tower Bridge.
Ever since I was a kid, I've been roaming the fields of Loos in search of artifacts related to the fighting on Loos.

collar to the 8th Lincoln find near Bois Hugo :

LINCOLN-Copie.JPG.3f859318d439dd2d9da6c6bd7c73d57c.JPG

michel