Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Cornet Malo

Skipman

I'm putting place markers in google earth , as you  do. Looking at google earth they have two 'Le Cornet Malo' marked. Are there two, if not, which is the correct one?

Mike

Le Cornet Malo.png

Just put Cornet into Advanced Search in TrenchMapper. Plenty of maps to choose from to solve that puzzle.

Howard

6 hours ago, Howard said:

Just put Cornet into Advanced Search in TrenchMapper. Plenty of maps to choose from to solve that puzzle.

Howard

Thank you Howard. Now why didn't that enter my tiny mind? :blink: and just a little shout out to the brilliant TrenchMapper thank you for such a tremendous resource.

Mike

Mike

That is the only one I have seen. I noticed it when I was trying to find Mt Bernanchon and Les Harisoirs where my great Uncle joined his Bn 2 Yorkshire Regt in 1915. This map from the Guards Div HQ GS WD December 1915 shows Le Cornet Malo top left. The other places marked on your google map are shown as Les Caudrons and Les Choquaux. 

I checked the only map of Vielle Chapelle on the NLS system. It is from 1918. Le Cornet Malo is in Q 28 but further south below Les Choquaux is Long Cornet in W 23.

Brian

TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1190.

1190.jpg

Edited by brianmorris547

The accuracy of place names is the nemesis of cartographers. In the early history of the Ordnance Survey there was a special section set up to establish names. They were tasked with obtaining local intelligence and to keep to a strict social hierarchy of informants to avoid local wags leading them up the garden path. Despite that, place names on maps are not definitive.

The case with Google Maps is different, they use datasets from all over the place to populate their maps and are often wrong. For years they confused Woodford Green with Wood Green in London and it took a lot of effort to get them to change it, the places were swapped over. Google’s place names should be treated with a lot of circumspection.

Howard

This is the 1918 NLS map that I referred to earlier. https://maps.nls.uk/view/101723830

I looked on my IGN maps that I bought in France on my travels. Compare the NLS map to the IGN 1:100 000 no 101 Lille Boulogne sur Mer and the IGN 1:25 000 no 2405 O Bethune. These show that Le Cornet Malo has moved from the WW1 Riez du Vinage position to a position near Locon, always assuming that the modern day maps are correct. I will have a look on streetview. EDIT Le Cornet Malo is in different positions on the modern day IGNs

Brian

001.JPG

002.JPG

Edited by brianmorris547
additional info

23 hours ago, Skipman said:

I'm putting place markers in google earth , as you  do. Looking at google earth they have two 'Le Cornet Malo' marked. Are there two, if not, which is the correct one?

Mike

The "correct one" would be the one used when writing Great War reports, diaries etc., i.e. where they thought it was at the time even if it has moved since.

Howard

Streetview shows the yellow road running north west from The Locon Le Cornet Malo (1:25 000) as Rue du Cornet Malo which is a dead end. I could not find any place names at the edges of the village. The village near Riez du Vinage is aslo shown as Le Cornet Malo.

In my touring days I would have gone there, I must have driven past it many times.

Brian 

And just to throw another spanner, this 1:40 000 map of Merville - La Bassee is in the March 1915 WD of 1 Div HQ GS. TNA/Ancestry WO 95/1228.

It shows Cornet Malo near Locon.

Brian

1 HQ 1228.jpg