Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mobilization - did Reservists have their uniform at home?

WilliamRev

I'm currently looking at army reservists and mobilization in early August 1914. Accounts mention reservists arriving at depots with suits and bowler hats, others dressed hardly better than tramps (e.g. J.F. Lucy There's a Devil in the Drum, p.75). This makes it sound as though they were issued with uniforms once they had arrived.

But 1st Shropshire Light Inf war diary (WO95/1909 August 1914 Appendix 1) says that many reservists arrived with "items of clothing" missing and with boots the wrong size, which suggests that reservists kept their uniforms at home and brought them with them, even if they did not arrive wearing them.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? 

• Admin

It is my understanding that Reservists kept their uniform, tied up in a brown paper bundle with their identifying name/number, at the Depot. I'm not sure if that included boots - I don't think it did - as we hear many stories of called-up reservists struggling with their new boots on the long-marches that were typically experienced in 1914.

Given that some men might have been in the Reserve for a good many years, there are bound to be many instances where a man had changed size/shape. So I expect it was common for new items & articles to replace older versions.

Here an extract from the History of the Green Howards wrt the activities of the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion during mobilisation, which specifically mentions clothing the Reservists.

Regards

Russ

Green Howards Mobilisation.png

Green Howards Mobilisation 2.png

• Admin

You can find many of these Regimental Histories on-line.

Most have a short chapter about the Depot & the 3rd Battalion during mobilisation. I always make a point of reading what they say because I too am interested in this fascinating period during mobilisation and the quite incredible effort required./achieved.

Russ

• Admin
49 minutes ago, WilliamRev said:

But 1st Shropshire Light Inf war diary (WO95/1909 August 1914 Appendix 1) says that many reservists arrived with "items of clothing" missing and with boots the wrong size, which suggests that reservists kept their uniforms at home and brought them with them, even if they did not arrive wearing them

A Reservist wouldn't go from Home to the 1st Battalion. He would go from Home to the Depot/3rd Battalion (co-located at the beginning) and then be posted to the 1st (or 2nd) - so if he arrived at the 1st Bn deficient in some way it was because of problems with the intermediate step at the Depot/3rd not functioning at it should, which might be understandable given the requirements etc

Russ

Russ - many thanks indeed for all these replies, and the effort that you have put in. I will read them all tomorrow (it's been an evening of crises, thankfully sorted out, and I've only just switched my PC back on).

William

PS I had a good look through the previous posts, but I didn't come across the one you quote - I think that my spelling of mobilization with a "z" must have complicated things!

Hi Russ,

I have now had time to read and digest the information that you posted yesterday. Thanks in particular for alerting me to the existence of the Regulations for Mobilization 1914, and for the other info which has opened up a number of new avenues for further thought and research.

Thanks once more,

William