Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps

shaymen

I am currently trying to find out what action the Tank Corps were taking part in on 14th April 1918.

Researching the following man.

Name: SMITH

Initials: P H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Tank Corps

Date of Death: 14/04/1918

Service No: 96755

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: N. 8.

Cemetery: Y FARM MILITARY CEMETERY, BOIS-GRENIER

I have got all the usual stuff - but it would be nice to know what action he was taking part in at the time of his death.

Thanks

Glyn

The Tank Corps suffered very heavily in the retreat of March 1918. Some tanks were destroyed, many were captured or left abandoned. Many of the tank crews then fought as dismounted Lewis gun detachments, particularly in the Battles of the Lys. Lewis gunners from 5th Tank Battalion were fighting near Meteren on the 15th April for example.

Robert

Thanks Robert

Whats the best way to find out which Bn he was with.

His MIC is on its way to me - will that help

Glyn

• 8 months later...

Just bumping this up - Struggling to find out much about this man.

Would really like to know which Battalion he would have been with so I can look at the War Diaries.

He was buried in Y Farm Mil Cem south of Armentieres - Any Actions around there at this time ?

Any Thoughts

Glyn

Hi Glyn

It seems likely that your man died in the Battle of the Lys. Y Farm is a concentration cemetery with graves brought in from the battlefields S of Armentieres. Certainly the Germans blew past Bois Grenier very early in the Battle, around the 9th/10th.

The Official History mentions 3 tank battalions who had noticeable parts in the battle - 5th, 11th & 13th, and none are mentioned for the 14th April. The 11th Bn. are mentioned as operating as Lewis gun crews near Merville on the 12th April, 13th Bn. reported operating N. of Bailleul on the 17th April and the 5th Bn. were mentioned attached to 61 Div defending Meteren on 16th April. That should narrow down the directions in which to look. Unless of course your man was captured and killed (perhaps by shellfire) while being moved behind the front line.

This from the 34th Div's history - "During the morning and the early afternoon [of 17th April], General Nicholson received further reinforcements, the 13th Tank Battalion, with forty-eight Lewis guns, and the 89th Infantry Brigade being placed at his disposal. The former was directed to allot half its guns to each of the 147th and 89th Brigades,......"

Thanks Robert

Whats the best way to find out which Bn he was with.

His MIC is on its way to me - will that help

Glyn

Glyn,

The MIC will give the Medal Roll references. These Rolls are held at the National Archives in Class WO329. They are worth checking as they sometimes identify the actual Battalion.

Regards

Gavin

Edited by GavinH

Richard / Gavin

Many thanks - That gives me plenty to go on.

Glyn

i have the 3rd and 10th tank bn i will have a look and if ther is anything i will fax it to you

unfortunatly the 7th tank bn is not available at bovington tank museum

Phillipe

Many thanks that is very nice of you to offer.

Glyn