Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3D imaging of wreck of U-boat UC71 / UC-71

NigelS

An interesting read, and whilst I suspect the u-boat may have been scuttled, the hatches shown were NOT used to escape. They are the mine tubes and would be flooded anyway.

The UC class were coastal minelayers that carried 3 mines in each tube and it is a great pity that these experts did not research this properly.

Tony.

When you concider the history of this U boat and its long service and number of sinkings, and her fight with a Q ship, there would have been more to write about her.

While the rear hatch is open (or lost) the forward hatch is not (or appears to be)

I don't know if the writer ment the Mine hatches or the crew hatchs when he writes there open here Tony?

50 minutes ago, stevenbecker said:

When you concider the history of this U boat and its long service and number of sinkings, and her fight with a Q ship, there would have been more to write about her.

While the rear hatch is open (or lost) the forward hatch is not (or appears to be)

I don't know if the writer ment the Mine hatches or the crew hatchs when he writes there open here Tony?

If you look at the Telegraph article it has a video showing the mine hatches.

The whole thing is written to sensationalise the work they are doing, which is very clever. As you say, there was so much that they could have said, instead of guessing, which is what they appear to have done.

Edited by Talesofaseadog

Yes its a bit of sensationised all right, when there's so much more in its real history to write about

Tipical of so call jounalists now days