Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed to interpret a war telegram

Ledg

Hi,  

Being new to the forum I hope this the right place to ask for help.  My great grandfather George Armitage was killed during the battle of Arras in May 1917.  A copy of the telegram informing the War Office of his death at the 8th Casualty Clearing Station is shown in the picture.  I am struggling to decipher the very last word - can anyone help please?  Also what to do the numbers p62262 mean?  Thanks in advance.

gbm_wo363-4_007291375_00169.jpg

• Admin

It looks like proeheas/proehcas but I can’t say it’s a medical term I’ve ever heard of. One for @Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

I don't think it's a medical term. Just wondering if it's one of the codes used in transmission of some telegrams by the War  Office. There is a thread somewhere about the codes.

Hi,

I've had a look around and apparently it is 'proelicas' which means 'direct from the field' Puzzle solved - it has been driving me nuts for a while!

• Admin

Every day is a school day!

50 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I don't think it's a medical term. Just wondering if it's one of the codes used in transmission of some telegrams by the War  Office. There is a thread somewhere about the codes.

29 minutes ago, Ledg said:

Hi,

I've had a look around and apparently it is 'proelicas' which means 'direct from the field' Puzzle solved - it has been driving me nuts for a while!

As I thought.

There's a previous thread here:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/197654-sender-of-telegram-proclicas-can-anyone-identify

In case you want a bit more.

'Attest Infantry York' is the Yorks Infantry Record Office.

C2Cas[ualty] is the WO department that received telegrams from the various theatres of war.

P62262 is a Progress Report which would be a list of seriously or  dangerously wounded or ill men.

He would have been reported via telegrams to C2Cas and York for his initial admission to 8 CCS and any further changes in condition.

TEW