Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

304487 William Hunt RAF

RFT

304487, William Hunt, RAF

Can anyone kindly assist with the following -

According to Lives of the First World War, 304487 William Hunt, was born 1900, at Plymouth.  It appears he entered the RAF in 1918.  Assuming his RAF service record exists, I would like to know where he was based in the 1920s?

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Edited by RFT
Correction.

• RFT changed the title to 304487 William Hunt RAF
57 minutes ago, RFT said:

Assuming his RAF service record exists, I would like to know where he was based in the 1920s?

Technically we are GW but I am happy to offer you this from TNA / a potential source at FMP [blind - I've not read it] - it may help you.

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C12699001 

You might perhaps/might perhaps be able to view via a local library if you do not directly subscribe to FMP

M

Thank you for your reply but I am aware topics should be specific to the Great War.  As William Hunt enlisted in 1918, and GWF topics appear to include thse appertaining to 1920, I didn't consider my request outside the scope, but seemingly it is.  I'll ask Admin to remove this topic.

Just now, RFT said:

Thank you for your reply but I am aware topics should be specific to the Great War.  As William Hunt enlisted in 1918, and GWF topics appear to include thse appertaining to 1920, I didn't consider my request outside the scope, but seemingly it is.  I'll ask Admin to remove this topic.

No, Removal - that was not my intent.

Just gently warning about going too far down that particular route lest the mods got involved.

Nevertheless I tried to help by providing a link

Choice is yours

Good luck with your research.

M

I think the answer to the question you seek is elsewhere.

The MOD UK website tells us, that they are in custody of:

Service records date from:
1920 for the RAF

This would seem to indicate that he left the RAF prior to this time, given that he has a service record.

7 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

The MOD UK website tells us, that they are in custody of:

Service records date from:
1920 for the RAF

This would seem to indicate that he left the RAF prior to this time, given that he has a service record.

So maybe that link may be valid for 1918 [which I didn't know about] onwards

M

Edited by Matlock1418
strike - 1918 was in the OP

He enlisted on 7 October 1918, so this is within the GWF time period.

He was discharged to the RAF Reserve on 16 November 1919, which is later than most were being discharged. 'Retained for period of occupation under AMWO 165 pata 1(d) 1.2.19'

3 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

He enlisted on 7 October 1918, so this is within the GWF time period.

He was discharged to the RAF Reserve on 16 November 1919, which is later than most were being discharged. 'Retained for period of occupation under AMWO 165 pata 1(d) 1.2.19'

Thanks for finding out for the OP - 1920s appears to have been a bit of a red-herring after all.  But all well now - and the mods and all can sleep easily now. :)

M

Edited by Matlock1418

My thanks to all who posted replies.  I'm very grateful.

Having looked at the Purpose of the GWF, it appears my specific request (under the topic heading) may well fall outside the scope of the GWF which seemingly exists to "discuss matters relating to the Great War 1914-19" and is not open for the discussion of other subjects.  

20 minutes ago, RFT said:

Having looked at the Purpose of the GWF, it appears my specific request (under the topic heading) may well fall outside the scope of the GWF which seemingly exists to "discuss matters relating to the Great War 1914-19" and is not open for the discussion of other subjects.  

Fear not - there is always a willingness to help so far as we can, without bring full wrath of the gods down on all concerned.

I think that 1914-1919 [Declaration of War to Peace Treaty] statement was added to stop a raft of enquiries about WW2 and other wars [due to an incorrect interpretation of GWF] and it does seem a bit 'fierce'.

There is a general acceptance by the mods and all that the official end of the war was 31 August 1921 [the Termination of the Present War (Definition) Act 1918 prepares for this and CWGC use that date too] and so is in scope and so are some other consequential events.  As are some pre-war events leading into the GW.

Moving potentially too far into the 1920s onward,or back in time, may be considered too far 'off piste' in some cases.

Your case seems to have been fair game for us to respond to - I think we can all rest easy.

Glad you have your answer.

M

Edited by Matlock1418