Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armbands

chrismac

The photo is thought to be Walsingham, Norfolk, taken in WW1. The armbands look too big to be the Lord Derby scheme. Introduced in October 1915, I believe it fizzled out after conscription was introduced Jan 1916. And the leaves on the trees also suggest otherwise.

the chaps look to be in the Sunday best (fob watch and all) though no explanation for some wearing a buttonhole. The photo is the best I can get after running it through AI.

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance, Chris

image(240).jpg

8 hours ago, chrismac said:

The photo is thought to be Walsingham, Norfolk, taken in WW1. The armbands look too big to be the Lord Derby scheme. Introduced in October 1915, I believe it fizzled out after conscription was introduced Jan 1916. And the leaves on the trees also suggest otherwise.

Just a thought but could it be the first parade of a newly formed unit of the Volunteer Training Corps in 1915 - at a time when uniforms may well have been in short supply  A report in the Lynn Advertiser, dated June 18th, 1915, has the strength of the Walsingham contingent as 40 members and from the remarks towards the end it seems they had not long been in existance.  Could be entirely a co-incidence but for time of year would be in keeping with the state of the foliage. Again could be a co-incidence but I'm counting 32 men present so not difficult to image another 8 joining subsequently.

LynnAdvertiserFridayJune18th1915sourcedBNA.png.35d803a15b81fc7ebde9d8892fcdfc68.png

Image courtesy the British Newspaper Archive.

Cheers,
Peter

It's difficult to see because of the way orthochromatic film renders the red backing excessively dark, but they are the early VTC armband as below:

image.png.36aad096305a5123070741671e1a5688.png

• Excellent, thanks to you both. A part of WW1 I had hitherto not paid much heed to. It fits, as that part is the Abbey grounds and to the left te ground slopes up among the trees. It is also away from 'prying eyes' but near enough to be easily reached.
Edited by chrismac

36 minutes ago, chrismac said:

Is there a date to that cutting ?

6 hours ago, PRC said:

Lynn Advertiser, dated June 18th, 1915

:)

11 minutes ago, PRC said:

:)

yes, that was actually in your first post :wacko:

we've now identified 3 of the chaps and the location, so again many thanks for putting us on the right track