Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical/hospital services at Gallipoli

TimD

Hello, 

My great-grandfather Francis Dowling (service number 9711) served with the 1st Battalion of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers at Gallipoli from 25 April 1915. 

I'm aware he was listed as injured in June 1915, I wondered if anyone has looked into details on the performance of the British medical care during the campaign i.e. there is a sense that most men were able to return to the fighting or transferred to hospital in Egypt or England? I'm also interested in any information detailing how quickly/efficiently wounded soldiers were returned to the front during the campaign. 

I understand there is sparsity of detail on the subject due to records being destroyed but if anyone has any higher level insight to share I would be very interested in learning more, thank you. 

There are various books in the bibliography pinned at the top of the sub-forum, but as I'm not sure if the link is live at the moment, this is the relevant volume of the Official History: Medical services, general history. Vol. 4, Medical services during the operations on the Gallipoli Peninsula ... / by Sir W.G. Macpherson and T.J. Mitchell. London : H.M.S.O., 1924. 

I know it used to be available to read on archive . org, but I can't track it down at the moment.

What I can say (though knowing more about the RND equivalents) is that there were first aid posts but that as far as I recall anyone with more needs was loaded onto a hospital ship/troop transport and taken to the tented hospital at Mudros on Lemnos (not far off) for further triage before return or onward transit to Alexandria, Malta, Gibraltar or the UK.

Hi Jane, 

Thank you very much for coming back to me and for recommending the Official History: Medical services, general history. Vol 4. I will see if I can track it down elsewhere as it sounds like it could be a fruitful read.

I'm also grateful for your insight on the triage process i.e. first aid posts, Mudros/Lemnos then onto Alexandria, Malta, Gibraltar or Eqypt which I have noted as I have seen similar references to some of these locations through other records I have come across. 

No problem; I too have made a note of where to find it again, and on skimming a few pages was struck by the following remark which I had not seen before

The proportion of killed to wounded was approximately 1 to 3. A comparatively large number of wounds were bayonet wounds.*
[* footnote: Bayonet wounds were rarely seen in the medical units in other theatres of war.]

(from pages 31/2 of 'Medical Services General History - Vol.IV')

best regards, Michael

For comparison, here is the history of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division from its formation to the evacuation of Gallipoli.

History of the Medical Unit of the Royal Naval Division - Arthur Gaskell.pdf

My pleasure :).

• 2 weeks later...

:thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

Hello mer Jane,

Thank you very much / merci beaucoup, I'm happy ! / Je suis content !

Best wishes,

Jean-Luc 

FRANCE 

A new book, published by Helion last month will answer a lot of questions;-

The Fight for Life - The Medical Services in the Gallipoli Campaign 1915-16 by John Dixon and Ritchie Wood

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fight-Life-Services-Gallipoli-Campaign/dp/1804513253/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1AOW4NL2AJ4J2&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.OC7QcakyDoqK-HARtnUG3_8f_Q3ysjz4xn2XDjmeTsLv_Gc7hQFdeJq-FQnlk_mJEUEqB_MK8jRGVhKBYexSk0lCgkVS2bFEI-OFLVkDh1VxZlZ6jci8Q1Xi1kwwqurwJxzJVV5Zolc2VOHXTLr_XFUroJQqWUrA_x22homntns2Gau8fNIiJpUb4G9kmmsxuFCEx1j9OpGY6B3zp21lfsTviNZERuvANMudNkRW16o.xCT1YqUnTQqJ5PMDJJhS8xuTTReu7ImY3l5_kDXlqKE&dib_tag=se&keywords=the+fight+for+life&qid=1712472344&s=books&sprefix=the+fight+for+life%2Cstripbooks%2C156&sr=1-1

This is an excellent book, and as well as covering British, Indian, Australian, New Zealand and Canadian medical services it also includes details of the French Service de Sante des Armees.

In addition there is a chapter written by a Turkish Author, Ahmet Senol Ozbeck entitled 'A Note on the Turkish Medical Services during the Canakkale Wars' which is extremely interesting.

I can highly recommend this book.

Regards,

Alf McM

Edited by alf mcm
date corrected

Hello Alf McM,

Thank you / Merci because it' a good news .

Best wishes,

Jean-Luc 

12 hours ago, WARS AND PEACES MINIATURES said:

Je suis content !

J'en suis aussi contente!

Meilleurs vœux,

sJ

12 hours ago, alf mcm said:

The Fight for Life - The Medical Services in the Gallipoli Campaign 1916-16 by John Dixon and Ritchie Wood

Thanks @alf mcm, that goes straight in to the bibliography.

sJ

@EastSurrey for you in case you hadn't seen the post

13 hours ago, alf mcm said:

1916-16

minor correction, 1915-16.