Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cooper bombs carried by Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a

Grid

I'm finding conflicting information in the size of the bombs carried by the SE5a, with one reference discussing 1917 (60 Squadron SE5) stating it could carry four 20 lb Cooper bombs and another in 1918 (74 Squadron SE5a) stating four 12lb bombs or two 24 lb bombs. Is there a way to reconcile this?

8 hours ago, Grid said:

I'm finding conflicting information in the size of the bombs carried by the SE5a, with one reference discussing 1917 (60 Squadron SE5) stating it could carry four 20 lb Cooper bombs and another in 1918 (74 Squadron SE5a) stating four 12lb bombs or two 24 lb bombs. Is there a way to reconcile this?

Hi

As far as I am aware the bomb racks fitted to the SE.5a would have been the standard '20 lb. Carrier' which could carry the following types (according to 'Details of Aerial Bombs' Air Ministry 1918):

Bomb, HE, Cooper, 20 lbs.  Bomb, HE, Hales, 20 lb. (actual weight 18.5 lbs).  Bomb HE, RL, 16 lbs. Bomb, Incendiary Carcass, Mark II.  Bomb, Incendiary RL, Mark III.  TWR. Parachute Flare.  and the Bomb, Incendiary Phosphorus, 40 lbs (only two with slight modifications to rack, fitted to outer positions).

Remember also the Cooper Bomb actually weighed 24 lbs., the case was 20 lbs and the explosive 4 lbs.  Reference in publications to this bomb also use the term "25 lbs" on occasion.  I don't think the RFC ever used a 12 lb. bomb.

if more details are required please ask.

Mike

Mention is made in the squadron ORB - AIR27/644 - Three O.P.s were carried out of the 12th [April 1918], and five E.A. were destroyed without loss.  From now onwards all O.P.s carried two to four 25-lb. bombs each machine.

Graeme

Hi

There is a fair bit on SE5as carrying bombs in Bill Lambert's 'Combat Report' including the dropping of bombs (usually 4 Coopers) then climbing to undertake their OP.

Mike