Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Marines Bandsman, medal entitlement

aim

keithmroberts,

One of my grandfathers became a musician in the Royal Marines Band in 1908. He received the 1914-15 Star. Most of his war was spent patrolling the North Sea, not meeting Germans, so he didn't get the 1914 Star even though he had volunteered in plenty of time.

Perhaps the North Sea and the English Channel were declared theatres of war in 1915 because you didn't know if you would come across the enemy or not.

Any thoughts welcome!

aim.

He likely served on one of the pre Dreadnought or Dreadnought battleships, during 1914-15  period thus qualifying him for 1914-15 star + War & Victory medals.

These large ships carried RM Bandsmen.

If you give us a name that would assist locating his Service Record thus ID' ing his ships.

• Admin

I’ve spilt this into a new thread to stop hijacking the original post. 

3 hours ago, aim said:

keithmroberts,

One of my grandfathers became a musician in the Royal Marines Band in 1908. He received the 1914-15 Star. Most of his war was spent patrolling the North Sea, not meeting Germans, so he didn't get the 1914 Star

There will have been a number of soldiers of the British Army who enlisted prior to the outbreak, who will not have received the 1914 Star, given they did not serve on land in France & Flanders between 5 August 1914 and the evening of 22 November 1914.

Likewise, given your grandfather was not there, he did not have an entitlement to a 1914 Star. 

If he had served at sea, in a theatre of war, prior to 31 December 1915, then he had entitlement to a 1914-15 Star instead. 

On 30/11/2023 at 16:53, RNCVR said:

He likely served on one of the pre Dreadnought or Dreadnought battleships, during 1914-15  period thus qualifying him for 1914-15 star + War & Victory medals.

These large ships carried RM Bandsmen.

If you give us a name that would assist locating his Service Record thus ID' ing his ships.

RNCVR - Thanks for this, but I've already got his records.

He was on the King Edward VII from the 17th. of May 1912 to the 6th. of January 1916. I don't think he came in contact with the enemy in 1914 or 1915. My question is, was the North Sea in 1915 declared a "theatre of war"?

aim

Just now, aim said:

My question is, was the North Sea in 1915 declared a "theatre of war"?

aim

The star will be granted... (a) to officers and men... who were mobilized and served (1) at sea 

https://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/ww1_1914_15_star_award.htm

He was at sea, so this meets the requirement as stipulated by The Admiralty, as issuer of 1914-15 Star to Royal Marine officers and men.

12 minutes ago, aim said:

RNCVR - Thanks for this, but I've already got his records.

He was on the King Edward VII from the 17th. of May 1912 to the 6th. of January 1916. I don't think he came in contact with the enemy in 1914 or 1915. My question is, was the North Sea in 1915 declared a "theatre of war"?

aim

Yes, definitely!

8 minutes ago, Keith_history_buff said:

He was at sea, so this meets the requirement as stipulated by The Admiralty, as issuer of 1914-15 Star to Royal Marine officers and men.

Keith_history_buff,

Amazing - every man who left port for ten minutes was awarded a medal!

RNCVR,

Thanks again.

aim

For the British War Medal, 28 days mobilised service was required of a Royal Marine, at sea, or elsewhere. 

For the Victory Medal, those ratings and marines 'mobilized and rendered approved service either (i) at sea between midnight 4-5 August 1914, and midnight 11-12 November, 1918; or (ii)....' were eligible.

You will have to provide a source of information that confirms your theory that ten minutes service was indeed long enough for a rating or marine to be awarded the 1914-15 Star.  

Similar text for both the Victory Medal, and the 1914-15 Star, as to what did not count as service at sea onboard a vessel, as eligible - for a rating, marine or officer - to claim the campaign medal. The full text is viewable on the link already posted.

The following service does not qualify:
(a)..
(b)..
(c) Service of a temporary and special nature in ships of war or theatres of operations - e.g. casual inspections and inquiries, purchase of material, passage etc