Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Incredible random discovery Italy, Vicenza, Costabissara, via San Valentino

Flavio

Sorry, there was a piece of translation missing... I happened to find the photo on the IWM website

Practically near Vicenza where I live there is a town called Costabissara, well this photo portrays none other than two English soldiers during their period of stay in the province of Vicenza from 1917 to 1918 (perhaps even longer)... Today I passed by especially for you to show you the exact correspondence today. Truly incredible This is why years ago, walking through those suburban streets, I came across an English 303 shot..

IMG-20231118-WA0020.jpg

IMG_20231130_093445.jpg

Edited by Flavio

1 hour ago, charlie2 said:

Thanks Flavio, I really like „then and now“ photos.

Nothing much has changed, apart from the weather :D

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, unfortunately you're right today it's a rainy day and for this reason I wasn't able to take the photo with the same angle and perspective which I assure you apart from the asphalting of the road and a few small details, it remained almost the same

Flavio,

What a wonderful photo!!!

Interesting that the cavalryman on the LHS has his sword drawn, and his horse appears to have his ears pricked, whereas for the rider on the RHS (who cannot see up that side street)---no sword and horse looks uninterested. I do see a third horseman (one white sock) but no enemy visible at the top of the side street.

How easy is it to read things into a photo ?

Probably all too easy......

Regards,

JMB

1 hour ago, JMB1943 said:

Flavio,

Interesting that the cavalryman on the LHS has his sword drawn, and his horse appears to have his ears pricked, whereas for the rider on the RHS (who cannot see up that side street)---no sword and horse looks uninterested. I do see a third horseman (one white sock) but no enemy visible at the top of the side street.

Regards,

JMB

Hello @JMB1943 in fact I will tell you what my first impression is when I see this photo (I'll start by saying that it would be interesting to know the day of the photo, looking at the trees in the background I lean towards autumn winter perhaps once the war is over), but the knight in profile in the foreground seems to me to be posing while the others seem almost random subjects, who knows... What is certain is that when I saw it I thought, almost due to the absurdity of the scene's location, that it had been taken yesterday

Ps

We are about 50/60 km by road from the front lines

And the place of the most important English detachment is Sarcedo and Villaverla with the base for the English aircraft, and the military hospital of Dueville

Edited by Flavio

Flavio,

Just a slight grammatical correction, if I may.

I think that you had better call me “my dear friend “ or “dear JMB”.

”Hello dearest” is more usually a romantic form of address, and might make my wife wonder if your name is Flavia, rather than Flavio….!!!

Regards,

JMB

Sorry JMB, unfortunately many things in Italian that are then translated into English can lead to misunderstandings..

Flavio,

Pas de probleme!

No habla Italiano.

Regards,

JMB

12 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I've Photoshopped out the rain, and made it sunny:

Costa.jpg

I wish it were this beautiful season... Unfortunately from today the snow has fallen on the Asiago Plateau and the season of research with the metal detector is temporarily over, instead the season begins in which my son and I dedicate ourselves to the restoration of the things found in the months of beautiful season

IMG_20231130_221645.jpg

Edited by Flavio

23 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

Flavio,

Regards,

JMB

My first reaction was that the Rider on the right was checking a map before following the Scout up the road? Is the lanyard on his left shoulder indicative of a minimum Rank?

Who knows if it was one of the three of them who missed that 303 shot that I found about ten years ago... However, the area at the end of the road is rich in game... Hares, pheasants and roe deer... Who knows if it was perhaps allowed to go hunting during a scouting tour