Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNR Sword Knot

RFT

RNR Sword Knot

Can anyone please direct me to a good website which carefully explains the fitting isntructions for the above?  

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Edited by RFT
Correction.

The knot attached to RNR Officers’ swords is same as for regular Royal Naval Officers.
It’s not that difficult to connect - basically it is looped through the slot on the knuckle guard, then wrapped around the guard using a figure of eight knot.
MB

Edited by KizmeRD

Thanks for responding. 

The guard has two holes at the bottom and a slot at the top.  I've expended so much time this afternoon trying to work out the sequence that I've all but given up on it.  Can you recommend a website which provides a step by step guide?

Thanks

Rob

There are videos on utube & flicr that show you how to do it.

Google & type in "how to tie RN sword knot" - many will come up.

Edited by RNCVR

If you’re finding it that difficult, then I’m guessing that you haven’t slid-up the lattice weave cord cover (about an inch long). This hides a hook connector which when un-clipped will allow you to pass the cord through the bottom two slots. Once that’s done you can reconnect and slip the cover back down, pass the end loop through the larger top slot, bring the other end round and through the bight in the cord, and finally finish off with a figure of eight knot round the guard.

Sorry, I don’t know about You-Tube tutorials - but USN do things differently - so make sure you search for instructions for a British Royal Navy sword knot.

MB

Edited by KizmeRD

16 hours ago, RFT said:

Thanks MB - Much obliged.

Rob

Hopefully this illustration will help.

IMG_1003.jpeg

21 hours ago, KizmeRD said:

I don’t know about You-Tube tutorials - but USN do things differently - so make sure you search for instructions for a British Royal Navy sword knot.

MB

British army swords also have a different method of dressing. So be warned.

PS I have now found something on YouTube which should solve all your problems…

Edited by KizmeRD

Thank you Frogsmile for the sketch and KizmeRD for the Youtube link.

My Grandfather served in the DCLI, RNAS and RAF., while my Gt, uncle, a Victorian RN seaman, served from 1889-1904, and again in 1915-1920 as Lt RNR.  As for me, I was never a boy scout and anything beyond tying a bow in boot laces is going a little too far!  

Best regards,

Rob

Edited by RFT
Updated.

Rob , I hope that you were finally successful in attaching the knot, and that you now have a properly dressed naval officer’s officer’s sword, which I take belonged to your Great Uncle - the RNR Lieutenant of the Great War?
Post a picture, if you're brave!

MB

Photo of Lt A G Sampson RNR - Photo extracted from a much larger photo depicting The Trawler Patrol, Dover, Dec., 1918.

lt a g sampson rnr.jpg

Edited by RFT
Additional information.

Arthur George Samson from Cornwall? Joined navy as a boy sailor in 1889.
His record as a rating was extremely indifferent as it included a twelve month sentence in Bodmin Jail and four separate periods in naval cells. I presume that he must have become a fisherman after his initial service in the navy (eventually becoming a qualified skipper).

He re-joined the navy in July 1915, this time serving as a Tempy Lieutenant RNR and during the war period he served on minesweeping trawlers, operating from Falmouth initially, then afterwards at Dover. Then, after having been demobbed,  he volunteered for further service in Northern Russia. Obviously a very interesting character.

MB

Edit - Actually, thinking about it a little more, he must have joined the mercantile marine, eventually sitting his BoT exams (Mates and Master’s), otherwise he wouldn't have been granted a Commission as an RNR Lieutenant (and I doubt very much that he declared his previous RN service).

Edited by KizmeRD

My late-father often told me AGS (my gt uncle) was a quiet, yet hardened, individual who did not suffer fools.  Seemingly nothing worried him. 

While serving as ABS on HMS Hood in 1894, he faced a court martial for striking an officer (breaking the officers nose) and was imprisoned at Bodmin for 1 year.  Seemingly the officer referred to AGS as a Cornish b****** (which clearly he didn't take too kindly to!).

Leaving the RN in 1904, he served in the RFR 1904-1907.  Thereafter, obtained his Certificate becoming Mate for Messrs Bazeley, ship owners of Penzance.  Whilst with Bazeley he served as Mate on the SS Cloch (1907-1911), SS Cadoc (1911-1912) and SS Lyonesse (1912-1915).  Granted a Commission Jul 1915, Sub Lt RNR, promoted Lt RNR, 1917.  Served on several minsweeper trawlers while based in Cornwall (1915-1917).  Reported to HMS Pactolus (9th Submarine Flotilla) Scotland, Feb 1917, and placed in command of Fleetwood minesweeper trawler "The Roman" until Feb 1918.  To Attentive III (Trawler Patrol) Feb 1918-1919.  North Russia Expedition 1 May 1919 - 27 Dec 1919.  Post-War he served on several merchant ships.  

Incidentally, AGS kept a notebook documenting his movements from Jul 1915 - Feb 1918, which makes for very interesting reading.

This reminds me - A couple of topic headings exist for A G Sampson which I must update!

Thanks for your interest

Edited by RFT
Additional text.

In the photo above Lieut Sampson appears to be weqaring a poppy in his lapel - if this photo dates from 1918 did poppies even exist then?  Certainly they were not being worn yet? 

It kind of looked like that to me too, however, as I understand it, poppies didn’t start getting worn (as acts of remembrance) until 1921.

MB

Exactly my thoughts Kiz. It sure appears to be a poppy tho, perhaps this photo was taken post war - 1920's ?

43 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

In the photo above Lieut Sampson appears to be weqaring a poppy in his lapel - if this photo dates from 1918 did poppies even exist then?  Certainly they were not being worn yet? 

Sorry to disappoint you.  What appears to be a poppy is a flaw in the photo.  Photo has been in our family's hands since 1918.

AGS photo is from the "Trawler Patrol, Dover, December 1918" (by Panora Ltd., 60 Doughty Street, presumably Dover).  Photo measures 45 ins in length and depicts several hundred officers and other ranks.

trawler patrol dover, dec 1918.jpg

Edited by RFT
Further updated.

Panora did a huge number of groups - schools, regiments, etc for years.  

1 hour ago, pierssc said:

Panora did a huge number of groups - schools, regiments, etc for years.  

Yes, I’ve seen a very similar photo of ‘Drifter Patrol, Dover, November 1918’ (There were even more men involved in that group).

MB

I have one of the No.6 Aircraft Acceptance Park at Renfrew, near Glasgow, at very much the same time, so Panora got around a bit!

There seems to have been a surge of group photos post-Armistice, before everyone went their separate ways.

I think the company were still going in the late 70s, as they did a photo of my school (c.650 pupils, plus staff).  They had a camera which automatically panned from one end of the group to the other.  Rumour had it that it was possible for someone at the start to leave their place and sprint round the back to the other end and thus appear in the photo twice!

On 02/12/2023 at 20:50, pierssc said:

Rumour had it that it was possible for someone at the start to leave their place and sprint round the back to the other end and thus appear in the photo

Husband asserts for certain that this really happened at his school...