Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Memorials

andy1400

I am researching my local War Memorial and during the course of my searches I have wondered what the criterion were for having your name placed upon them. I have found men born in my town but on other memorials and vice versa. I would imagine that a person would only be remembered on one War memorial. Would anyone be able to enlighten me?

There is no overall rule as to how or which names appeared.

The lists were drawn up by ad hoc committees of local 'worthies' and they set their own criteria. Often they simply asked people to submit names without further checking as to suitability.

A family would obviously supply the names of all their sons killed and not only those who died from one location. This is one reason for duplications but there was no cross-checking between memorial committees to highlight such eventualities.

Searching for some formula or all-encompassing framework for the names on all British war memorials is a fruitless task! It is more profitable to try to work out the reasoning for each individual one.

I am researching my local War Memorial and during the course of my searches I have wondered what the criterion were for having your name placed upon them. I have found men born in my town but on other memorials and vice versa. I would imagine that a person would only be remembered on one War memorial.  Would anyone be able to enlighten me?

Andy1400

Can you advise the actual inscription text which is on the memorial ie Erected in grateful memory , etc, etc ?