Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Markings on M1895

Rafal1971

Out of curiosity

Markings on an Austrian bayonet M 1895 from the period of the First Republic.
Some mountain unit maybe customs, schutzen?

fdsfsda.jpg

Its more real already a german Zoll - Grenz Zoll Schutz., any details of marking on blade?

That would be too easy.
The bayonet is not in my collection
Bayonet production of the 1st Republic.
Screws not rivets. Weird covers.
I would like them to be German. Maybe after the Anschluss

I made correction for David Machnicki Book "To the Hilt " around 2012 he has similar piece only 4 serialed on pg69, even the marking is not fully confirm it should be already post Anschluss also april 1938. Offcoarse it was used in part Austria as not german configuration. Yes the piece had a screw and was mostly refurbished, with older type scabbard. Should be provided info about the marking on that piece as nr.4 was old OEWG production wout any proofs. On Your picture is strange area of pommel?

Edited by AndyBsk

Photos from one of the auction sites

In my opinion, the scabbard looks like a new production

gfgf.jpg

hgshgfs.jpg

hfhgd.jpg

Thanks for the details, this are different screws as on the nr.4, beech wood is not typical, but could be done by refurbishment, crossguard rivets were flashed down, strange is the condition of the blade surface,looks like chemically entrostet. OEWG means a early production piece, but proofed on other side with first republic eagle. Scabbard was mixed probably as doesnt have any rust areas. Here the scan of DM book.

DMpg69sm.JPG.4d0602b2762fa270d9f0c3fa3087e048.JPG

Edited by AndyBsk

I wondered if this was not an interwar production for the M34 Sholothurna?

You means probably MP30 Solothurn or for MP34Oe, i personally dont believe this, the austrian eagle is pre 1934, other point is the blade is from WW1 probably, even not visible, is possible under the new eagle was a older one. not visible in this photos.

I wonder if bayonets with this signature are dedicated to the M34

R.jpg

Is possible, anyway i  saw only few similar marked bayonets and scabbards. There were enough older bayonets avialable with use on MP34oe. 

Edited by AndyBsk

My friend who is interested/collects submachine guns and has two Mp 34 said that there are new submachine guns ( like FRERRARI) and old/grandfather bayonets from warehouses for them - weird as hell

Andy - Germany - Mauser 98 - experimental bayonets - and then 98,
  After all, they didn't modify either 71 or 71.84. only during World War I

The only austrian MP34 correct bayonets were this which were marked on pommel to them, otherway is impossible to say similar bayonet was used with a MP34, logically it has no reason use a bayonet on a MP, the weapon is too short to be efectivelly weapon. question what for MP34 he has as majority of untouched came from Portugal contract. The austrian weapons were extensively used in war.

The germans could be not compared, as 71 or 71/84 could be not attached on Gew98 wout extensive rework of pommel, which was nearly similar cost as new one.

Maybe the gun isn't suitable for hand-to-hand combat, but they all have bayonet mounts.
In the Portuguese contract for the M34, Simson bayonets from 1904 were modified by shortening the handle. And they could have given up the bayonet mount
The photos show German soldiers with M1895s, but it is unclear whether they are new M95s or are from stock.

The Portuguese modification 1904 also fits the lower one (I checked)
My friend and I can't choose a bayonet for the upper one (a very rare contract M34).

Its more refurbishment for german Mauser slot, not made from first there.

This is not a remake. The factory M34 models for Croatia have such a Mauser bayonet mount

I believe it is refurbished, but for details i should see the marking on the MP34oe,otherway its hard to determine its older or newer production piece, as there are 2 screw or rivets inside, it normally would be brazed or welded on place similar to M95 adapter.

Edited by AndyBsk

As You could see the adapter piece have the rivets in different position as here presented, same as the adapter is different position on the barell jacket. So i dont believe this would be done in fabric, even the piece is a NDH contract. Most real refurbished by owner, as croatian got some number of Kar98k rifles with bayonets. I believe adapter is holding per 2 screws which were mounted innerly by dissasembly of the tubus from barell.

Edited by AndyBsk

I won't deny the difference

Don't you think it's quite a complicated operation to fit the bayonet lug individually to 2,000 pistols?

However, my question remains unanswered - WHAT MODEL OF bayonet did the Croatians use for MP34?

Sorry to say when i see here a sample that is wrong way and position added adapter, so i dont believe this was made in fabric, when there was done in Steyr it would be exact place and exact method how to fixed the adapter on barell tubus. So a refurbish of 2000 MPs would be a month work for a small workshop. Not extra problem. There exist evidently MP34 wout bayonet adapter, same as i dont known how were delivered the MP34 for Croatia??, anyway the pieces are different way fixed as on the piece presented here. here is the overall tubus moved to side.

Edited by AndyBsk

Andy,
But it is known, that the main question was WHICH BAYONET WAS USED FOR THE MP34, and not whether a catch was installed at all (which I agreed with you).

Robert, thanks for the link/ Dzięki za linka

From the link you can learn how the Croatians obtained MP34. Uncle GOOGLE TRANSLATOR helps :thumbsup: