Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Coastal Motor Boat 4 (CMB 4) 1916

seaJane

Temporarily on display (but difficult to photograph well from a wheelchair) in Boathouse No.4, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, having been loaned by IWM. They are building a replica in the workshop down below.

IMG_20231129_175734.jpg.3f46c676410dbe7934c323f9f94572d1.jpgIMG_20231129_175643.jpg.c08a1df134325e6f72771eeb9698f81f.jpg

SeaJane are they really building a working replica? I would love to see this run.

I have seen this boat many times at Duxford, My Grandfather once told me he was the interpreter at Terijoki  that is menetioned in Agars book, I recenlty looked at my Grandfarthers service record and it stated he spoke english in the 20s.

In one of Agars book there is a photo C.M.B 4 on two truck going past Agars house in Alton, the last time they were together.

Fabulous news!

52 minutes ago, MartH said:

working replica?

I'm not sure what its exact status will be, but if we go back for another look at the Mary Rose (as we may) on Friday I will ask one of the team on the ground in the boathouse.

There is a magazine article entitled "Mosquitoes with Stings" about the building of the replica CMB in December's "Britain at War", it would appear to be very much up and running.

Tony

31 minutes ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

There is a magazine article entitled "Mosquitoes with Stings"

Sounds interesting! I might consider buying that issue...

There’s a long YouTube clip (from June 2023) featuring David Griffiths narrating the story of the project and shows all the work that has been done in Boathouse No. 4 in Portsmouth (It was originally a Zoom presentation for the Society of Shipwrights, now made public). it’s fascinating.

MB

Thats really interesting, I will send the link on to a relative in Finland and try and let the Finnish Martime Museum know.