Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Medal Help!

Alison83

Hello everyone! First time poster, I'm hoping someone would be able to shed some light on this for us. My brother in law sent me some photographs of the medal pictured. Mullally was my Mother in laws maiden name. What do these numbers mean? I'm not very clued up on things like this, but any info you guys could provide us with would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you! 

IMG-20231129-WA0006.jpg

IMG-20231129-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20231129-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20231129-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20231129-WA0002.jpg

Edited by Alison83
Adding more photos

• Admin

Thanks. So Royal Naval Reserve.

I'm sure some of our naval experts will be able to tell you more about him now you have provided name and number.

Regards

Russ

Incidentally, do you realise that it is a Victory Medal?

BillyH.

28 minutes ago, BillyH said:

Incidentally, do you realise that it is a Victory Medal?

BillyH.

I had no idea until this morning. I know that people weren't generally given this unless they had something else? As I said, I'm not very bright when it comes to things like this ***.

30 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Fab! I'll check that out. Thank you.

He is likely entitled to a silver British War medal as well, the bronze Victory medal was not awarded as a single medal.  

The RNR medal roll in ADM 171 would specify his medal entitlement.

Edited by RNCVR

Seaman Peter MULLALLY RNR was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal. He claimed these in person after the war and all three were duly isssued to him.

His RNR record (4721.B) can be downloaded free of charge from TNA  -   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8486775

His initial five-year period of enrolment (1907-1912) was seerved under the Official No. 1534.A but his record for that period has not survived.

Edited by horatio2

MULLALLY continued to serve in the RNR after post-war demobilisation. In total he served three five-year periods, 1907 to 1922, the latter two periods being served under his 4721.B number.

Mullally could easily have qualified for the RNR LS (Long Service) medal as well.  He had the time.

34 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Seaman Peter MULLALLY RNR was entitled to the 1914-15 Star, Victory Medal and British War Medal. He claimed these in person after the war and all three were duly isssued to him.

His RNR record (4721.B) can be downloaded free of charge from TNA  -   https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8486775

His initial five-year period of enrolment (1907-1912) was seerved under the Official No. 1534.A but his record for that period has not survived.

Hiya.

I have registered but apparently that's not found. 

Thank you! 

47 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

He is likely entitled to a silver British War medal as well, the bronze Victory medal was not awarded as a single medal.  

The RNR medal roll in ADM 171 would specify his medal entitlement.

How would I find this information? 

6 minutes ago, Alison83 said:

Hiya.

I have registered but apparently that's not found. 

Thank you! 

Managed to get it noe! Thank you very much. 

35 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Mullally could easily have qualified for the RNR LS (Long Service) medal as well.  He had the time.

I wonder... is there anyway to find out what the name of the ship was? 

The RN ships in which he served are all listed, with dates, on the reverse of his record. They all appear to be shore bases or depot ships (none of them sea-going):-

HM Ships VICTORY, COLUMBINE, STEPHEN FURNESS, ZARIA, EGMONT, QUEEN and finally demobilised from VICTORY in February 1919.

22 minutes ago, Alison83 said:

I wonder... is there anyway to find out what the name of the ship was? 

Ship names were not impressed on the rim of the RNR LS medals. Just the recipient's Official Number, Name & Rate.

I do not think there exists roll for thr RNR LS medal.

RNR LS Medal - he served the required 15 years to the day (2 Sep 1907 to 1 Sep 1922). There is no note of post-WW1 regular RNR training but his record is stamped "NO TRAINING REQUIRED" - presumably as a professional fisherman. That said, I can see no LS Medal award noted in his record but the admin for this would have tajken place in the weeks/months following his last day in the RNR.

13 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

RNR LS Medal - he served the required 15 years to the day (2 Sep 1907 to 1 Sep 1922). There is no note of post-WW1 regular RNR training but his record is stamped "NO TRAINING REQUIRED" - presumably as a professional fisherman. That said, I can see no LS Medal award noted in his record but the admin for this would have tajken place in the weeks/months following his last day in the RNR.

Thanks so much for all the info!  I'm just getting into family research so I'm very crusty around the edges! Everyone has to start somewhere though, eh? Very much appreciated. 

4 hours ago, horatio2 said:

3 hours ago, horatio2 said:

The RN ships in which he served are all listed, with dates, on the reverse of his record. They all appear to be shore bases or depot ships (none of them sea-going):-

HM Ships VICTORY, COLUMBINE, STEPHEN FURNESS, ZARIA, EGMONT, QUEEN and finally demobilised from VICTORY in February 1919.

Does this mean that he got the 1914-15 Star without leaving England?

aim

Some of the depot ships were bases for such as small craft which were sea going. If he went to sea on such a craft he would qualify. My impression is that serving at sea from a UK based depot ship would count for qualification. It was certainly not necessary to set foot on foreign soil, as the sea was I'm sure regarded as a theatre of war.