Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ortsfriedhof Wevelghem

AOK4

Hello,

Two British soldiers were buried on the small German cemetery in Wevelgem. However, I can't find them on the CWGC website. Could any of you tell me where they are buried now (or perhaps the correct names etc.)?

Sergeant William Wilkfort - 18/London Regiment, D Company - died Feldlazarett 408 Wevelgem 21/4/1917

Private F.G. Winter - 18/London Regiment, B Company - died Feldlazarett 408 Wevelgem 22/5/1917

Regards,

Jan

Hello,

Two British soldiers were buried on the small German cemetery in Wevelgem. However, I can't find them on the CWGC website. Could any of you tell me where they are buried now (or perhaps the correct names etc.)?

Sergeant William Wilkfort - 18/London Regiment, D Company - died Feldlazarett 408 Wevelgem 21/4/1917

Private F.G. Winter - 18/London Regiment, B Company - died Feldlazarett 408 Wevelgem 22/5/1917

Regards,

Jan

Hello, Jan,

The first one would be 591110 Sgt. William WHITFORD now buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery - II C 13.

The second one would be 593911 Rifleman Albert George WINTERS, also buried in Harlebeke New British Cemetery - II C 14.

Tom

Jan and Tom,

I'm interested because I am compiling a list of cemeteries that have disappeared in the years after the war, in or near the Salient.

Tom, could you tell me where you got your information from ? I have a list of the German and communal cemeteries British men were moved from to Harlebeke New British Cemetery. There are 44, but I don't see a Wevelg(h)em German Cemetery among them.

Jan,

This "Ortsfriedhof Wevelghem" is not among the cemeteries in your list (on your website) "Liste der deutschen soldatenfriedhöfe in Flandern 1914-1918", is it ? Is that the correct (complete) name ? And is it also known as an "Ehrenfriedhof Nr. ..." ?

Aurel

Hello Aurel,

It didn't have a number as the bodies buried there were transferred to Menen Wald in the 1920's before they numbered the cemeteries.

Jan

Tom, could you tell me where you got your information from ? I have a list of the German and communal cemeteries British men were moved from to Harlebeke New British Cemetery. There are 44, but I don't see a Wevelg(h)em German Cemetery among them.

Aurel

Aurel - I have no special information. I did it by trial and error. I looked in "Soldiers Died in the Great War" for 18th London men who died on the days in question. The plan then was to look at the names and see if any of them resembled the spellings Jan gave.

For Sergeant William Wilkfort's date of death - 21/4/1917 - there was only one match, Sgt. William Whitford.

For Private F.G. Winter's date of death - 22/5/1917 - there were two soldiers died on that date, with the names Baker and Winters so Winters was the obvious choice.

Then I looked at CWGC to get the grave details and found that they are buried side-by-side.

Tom

Tom,

Good thinking ! You surely live in the nation Sherlock Holmes was born in. (Yes, I know, he was not born at all !)

Jan,

Not directly related ... But do you know if somewhere on line there is a list of the German cemeteries that were moved to the 4 present large cemeteries Menin, Langemark, Vladslo and Hooglede ?

And if this does not exist on line, any other publication or source where I can find this ?

And to everybody with an interest in French cemeteries :

Is there a similar list for the French cemeteries (in the Salient) moved to St. Charles de Potijze (French Cemetery, Zonnebeke Road, Ypres) ?

Aurel

Aurel

I am surprised at you. Such ignorance.

Sherlock Holmes not only was born and did live but possibly is still alive! His obituary has never appeared in The Times and so he must still be alive.

How dare you suggest such a thing. It is an insult to us life-long Sherlock fans!

Aurel

I am surprised at you. Such ignorance.

Sherlock Holmes not only was born [etc. ........]

Terry and all lifelong Sherlock-fans,

I humbly offer you my sincere apologies.

Of course he was born ! Now I realize how stupid and ignorant I was. And the proof that he must have been born is that if he had not been born, how could he have said to Dr. Watson that their tent had been stolen ?!

But Hercule Poirot died, dind't he ?

And Dr. Watson... What about him ? Was he born ?

And Sherlock never married. Is that correct ? And did he have a sex life ? I'm asking because somehow and somewhere I remember an Englishman saying : "No sex please, I'm British"

But maybe that was not Sherlock ? :)

Aurel

Poirot may have died and Holmes fallen over the Reichenbach Falls but they are remembered even here on the GWF

:D

John

Aurel

Sherlock was too busy for such trifles as sex - nor did he marry but Watson did.

As it happens, Conan Doyle lived and wrote some of the stories only a couple of miles from my house and one of the stories took place in the next village. We know all about Sherlock's habits around here ;)

"No Sex please, we're British"

Elementary, my dear Aurel! Other nations have sex, the British have hot-water bottles, as the saying goes. Yet, to show that they are decent people, we are never shown hot-water bottles in British films.

All the best,

Fred

And you would be surprised what they het up to in those cells.

Thanks, gentlemen, for these nice compliments to the brave little Belgians with the little grey cells (who have great sex anyway, and not with waterbottles.) :P

But if there is something that I would really appreciate ...

As I said before in this thread I am compiling a list of cemeteries in the Salient that were moved shortly after the armistice (and later). French cemeteries however appear to be a problem. I myself have photos of 5 cemeteries in my village (Boezinge, north of Ypres). Should anybody have photos (or postcards) of French cemeteries in the (northern) Salient, I would be delighted to hear. Or just a mention of a location ... (Or : a list of the cemeteries moved to St. Charles de Potijze would be extremely welcome too.)

Aurel