Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clarification of names of ships served on

Allan1892

I am looking at the service record of Joseph Buchan (DA 16742) enlisted 27 June 1917.

Can anyone assist in clarifying the names of the ships that he served on. I have identified the following:

Vivid -- navy barracks, Devonport

Idaho -- depot / parent ship, Auxiliary Patrol based at Milford Haven

Peken -- hired trawler, minesweeper

City of Perth -- hired drifter, net vessel

Bounteous Sea -- hired drifter, net vessel

Nairn (previously named Driver) -- admiralty trawler, minesweeper

I am struggling with the names in the arrival column that I have highlighted in the attached image. (mages courtesy of the NA)

snippet of service record with highlights.jpg

snippet of service record.jpg

Ugh, what a horrible reproduction. I have downloaded the same one from TNA and zoomed in to 3x size can make out

??H.T. "Benjamin" followed by something unreadable in parentheses.

??Nairne for "Peggy" from "Bounteous Sea" 

H.T. "Calypso" from "City of Perth."

But I'm not 100% sure of any of them.

seaJane 

PS: Peken I think should be Pekin.

Another dreadful, partly unreadable scan from TNA. My best reading is:-

Enrolled as deck hand and mobilised at Peterhead on27 June 1917.

27 July 1917 Drafted to Devonport base (HMS VIVID III)for service in HMS RECOMPENSE   -  hired drifter, Admiralty No. 1419. Built 1902, 58grt, Lowestoft reg LT.509. In service 3.15-1919 as net vessel.

1 November 1917 drafted from VIVID to HMS IDAHO, the Milford Haven base, for service in a boat whose name is unreadable [might be BOUNTEOUS SEA???].

1 March 1918 drafted from IDAHO to HMS PEKIN, the Grimsby base for service in the base (???).

14 March 1918 drafted from PEKIN to HMS CITY OF PERTH, the Brightlingsea base, for service in HMS BOUNTEOUS SEA  -   hired drifter, Admiralty No. 1424. Built 1900, 56grt, Lowestoft.reg LT.164. Armament: 1-3pdr AA. In service 3.15-1919 as net vessel.

13 December 1918 drafted from CITY OF PERTH to HMS NAIRN, the Aberdeen/Peterhead base, for service in HMS PEGGY  -   hired drifter, Admiralty No 1315. Built 1907, 100grt, Peterheadreg PD.149. Armament: 1-6pdr. In service 6.15-1919 as net vessel.

Movements during December 1918 may involve another boat (ENTERPRISE ??? I think not CALYPSO) based on NAIRN.

Demobilised and discharged at Peterhead 28 January 1919 [also noted as 31 December 1918].

Sorry it is a messy summary. Poor scan and a poorly kept record (e.g. non-sequential dating).

Edited by horatio2

Thank you both for your interpretation -- as you have said:

46 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Ugh, what a horrible reproduction

27 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

Poor scan and a poorly kept record (e.g. non-sequential dating)

I totally agree -- good job that the majority of records are in a much more readable state.

58 minutes ago, horatio2 said:

1 November 1917 drafted from VIVID to HMS IDAHO, the Milford Haven base, for service in a boat whose name is unreadable [might be BOUNTEOUS SEA???].

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

??H.T. "Benjamin" followed by something unreadable in parentheses.

@seaJane may have hit the mark. The Admiralty trawler HMS BENJAMIN COOKE entered service on 31 October 1917, based on IDAHO at Milford Haven until July 1918 when she went out to Port Said.   -    Admiralty trawler, Castle-class, Adty No 3667. Delivered 1.11.17, Bow McLachlan. 275grt/360 tons/547 tons deep, 134(oa), 125x23x13ft. TE 480ihp, 10.5kts. Armament: 1-12pdr. Crew: 15, up to 18 with wireless.

A possibility but still not 100%.

22 hours ago, horatio2 said:

A possibility

It's possible that what I thought was ( is in fact C, but I agree it's not at all clear.

Edited by seaJane
typo

@horatio2 -- one last thing if you don't mine. It concerns the comment for his character -- his conduct is shown as V.G. = Very Good; his ability is shown as Sat. = Satisfactory but it also records (twice) what looks like Supr -- any idea what this stands for?

According to King’s Regulations & Admiralty Instructions (Ch.XXI 831/3) the precise definitions of Supr.& Sat are as follows:

Superior = A man who performs his duties in an efficient manner and is considered fit for advancement in his turn but not for
special advancement.

Satisfactory =A man who performs his duties in an efficient manner but who — owing to inexperience or other causes — is not
considered fit for advancement at present.

But like h2 says, the terms are generally used to mean ‘Above Average’ and ‘Average’.

MB