Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

King's Regulation & the Victory Medal

Guest mshx

Hi All,

Can anyone site the King's Regulations Rule relating to: "Those who received the British War Medal were NOT automatically entitled to the Victory Medal"? All those who received the VM received the BWM.

The KR RULE for the non-issue of the VM is what I seek. :unsure:

Thanks,

Janice

USA

Not sure you will find the answer in King's Regulations. I suspect the law was written in Army Orders at some stage but can't help you further - sorry

The criteria for the award of the Victory medal can be found in Army Order 301 (30th Aug.1919), amended by A.O.421(Nov.1919), A.O.183 (10 May 1920), A.O.391 (Oct.1922) and A.O.446 (Dec.1923).

Basically it makes eligable all officers and O.R.'s of the British, Dominion, Colonial and Indian forces, civilian doctors, nurses, nursing sisters and others employed in civilian hospitals, and to women's formations serving with the forces.

An individual had to serve a set period of time in one of the seven theatres of war (W.Europe, Balkan, Russian,Egyptian,African,Asiatic and Australasian theatres). Within the airforces, participation in fleet reconnaissance, coastal reconnaissance, convoy operations, antisubmarine patrols and air defence of the British Isles conducted by an operational unit all qualified, as did ferrying new aircraft to France and participation in the compliment of aircraft carrying ships.

Dave.

Guest stevebec

You will find that some 6,500,000 BWM's were issued where as some 5,725,000 Victory medals were issued.

Force's which saw no action or as in Australia who didn't embark for OS recieved only there BWM not the VM.

My source mentions that it was issued singly to British Regular and mobolizied personel who did not embark for France.

S.B

My source mentions that it was issued singly to British Regular and mobolizied personel who did not embark for France.

The British War Medal (BWM) was not issued to Army personnel who served in the UK only; if they went to a 'non-active' area such as Malta, Gibraltar, or died at sea on a ship between main theatres of war, then they got one; but no Victory Medal. Soldiers who served in India in 1918-19 on the NWF only got the single BWM plus the India General Service Medal Bar NWF 1919.

For the Navy it was different. You only had to do 28 days continuous service ANYWHERE to get the BWM; thus there are many more single BWMs to the Navy.

Canadian soldiers were entitled to them upon arrival in the UK, and many only got that if they died in training camps, or went sick and were discharged. I presume the same was true of AIF and NZEF personnel.

Guest stevebec

Interesting Paul,

So those british soldiers that may be bombed by Air Ship or help train the new armies got no medal?

My source "British Battles an Medals" by Maj Gordon mentions as I stated. Likewise those in Australia who enlished and trainined for OS but didn't go received a BWM.

I wonder why those in the UK didn't?

S.B

Is there any reason why sailors of the Merchant Marine did'nt seem to recieve the Victory medal, only the Mercantile Marine War Medal and the BWM and conversely, why sailors of the Mercantile Fleet Auxilary did recieve the Victory, BRM and not the MMWM?

There's probably a simple explaination, but I've often wondered this.

The criteria was that they received the Victory medal if (both for officers and sailors) they served on ships of war or commissioned fleet auxiliaries.

Dave.

The criteria was that they received the Victory medal if (both for officers and sailors) they served on ships of war or commissioned fleet auxiliaries.

Thanks Dave

So medals stamped with 'MFA' belonged to Merchant Mariners who served on HMS ships essentially? My Grandfather's Victory and BRM are stamped as such.

The way I understand it is

* Anyone who received the Victory Medal was entitled to the War Medal.

* Anyone who served overseas was entitled to the War Medal but ONLY THOSE WHO ENTERED AN OPERATIONAL THEATRE had the Victory Medal.

I have a War Medal to a Territorial soldier of the 1/4 Wiltshires. He spent the entire war in India so only received the British War Medal.

Hope this helps

Tim

:D

So those british soldiers that may be bombed by Air Ship or help train the new armies got no medal?

Correct; although no doubt there will be some exceptions! :rolleyes: