Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silesian Peacekeeping. Forgotten graves.

depaor01

Interesting story Dave, thanks for the link.
How soon after 31/08/1921 were these deaths?
The Irish regiments were disbanded in 1922 weren't they?
What happened to the soldiers in Irish regiments in places like this?
Were they transferred to other regiments or what?

1 hour ago, depaor01 said:

1921 but hopefully OK to post here. If otherwise I'm happy to hsve this moved to Skindles.

I had never heard of the Silesia peacekeeping. I do hope the CWGC will do something for these men.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2023/1125/1418205-irish-soldiers-poland/

Dave

Dave I did specifically draw this deployment to your attention in connection with the wearing of collar badges there by 1st Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers, and mentioned the lack of clarity regarding the role of that battalion within the deployed ORBAT.  See also: 

IMG_0745.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1921 but hopefully OK to post here. If otherwise I'm happy to hsve this moved to Skindles.

I had never heard of the Silesia peacekeeping. I do hope the CWGC will do something for these men.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2023/1125/1418205-irish-soldiers-poland/

Dave

Er, as they are post Aug 21 why would the CWGC do anything?

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Gareth Davies said:

Er, as they are post Aug 21 why would the CWGC do anything?

From the article, which acknowledges the CWGC cut off date:-

"In a statement issued to RTÉ News, a spokesperson for the UK Ministry of Defence said that it has asked the Commonwealth War Graves Commission to "undertake some investigative research at Opole to develop options for an appropriate commemoration at the site".

"This work is under way, and the Commission will present its findings to the Department in due course," read the statement."

I guess we shall just have to await their findings and decision. 

It's perhaps worth noting that the CWGC has published a strategy for the next six years which states;

"Our Mission has been adapted to reflect both the existing reality of what the CWGC does (particularly as an “agent” – caring for non-world war graves and commemoration structures on behalf of our Member Governments and others), but also that ambition to do more, to be a leader in the commemoration of the fallen, to be unbound by date, geography, or event."

https://www.cwgc.org/media/kifai5og/cwgc-strategy-2023-2039-v2-low-res.pdf

That may be why they were consulted.

26 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Our Mission has been adapted to reflect both the existing reality of what the CWGC does (particularly as an “agent” – caring for non-world war graves and commemoration structures on behalf of our Member Governments and others), but also that ambition to do more, to be a leader in the commemoration of the fallen, to be unbound by date, geography, or event."

Thanks for that Ken. That will presumably increase their not inconsiderable workload.

I wish them well.

48 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Dave I did specifically draw this deployment to your attention in connection with the wearing of collar badges there by 1st Battalion Royal Munster Fusiliers

IMG_0745.jpeg

I forgot that particular detail in our exchange.  Apologies.  I blame my aging brain and always unreliable recall!

Dave

Given that they were renumbered, they should have a bit more WW1 biographical detail in the Army Form 358 Enlistment Books that were started in 1920.

The books for the disbanded Irish regiments are held by The National Army Museum, who digitised them during the WW1 centenary, and they can be consulted online, free of charge.

There is already a thread on the Army Form 358 Enlistment Books, and the other regiments for which these may have survived.

I forgot that particular detail in our exchange.  Apologies.  I blame my aging brain and always unreliable recall!

Dave

No problem Dave, I just wanted to check that you had seen it and a reminder seemed no bad thing.  I’m still trying to find out what 1 RMF’s role was.

A 2012 topic on a Silesian casualty here - 

Steve

On 26/11/2023 at 00:15, MaureenE said:

See previous topic, including comments Maureen

Thanks MaureenE, I missed that thread. Great photos.

Dave