Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme IGN Maps

SOMMESOLDIER

Hi There, :)

I need to buy the IGN maps for the Somme Battlefields. Which ones do I need to cover the whole of the 1916 Battlefield ?

Also where is the best place to get them from and how much ?

Cheers

Tim.

Hi Tim,

Try the following website:- http://www.elstead.co.uk/ They can supply the French ign series blue 1 to 25,000 maps. I'll give you some of the number's.

2404 E Armentieres

2405 O Bethune

2405 E Lens

2407 O Acheux-en-ameinois (Ocean Villa's & Beaumont-Hamel)

2407 E Bapaume

Some other's:-

2408 O Albert

2408 E Brau-sur-somme

2408 O Perronne

Hope this will get you started, mine cost £5.99 ea inc postage, just bought 2 in local bookshop cost £7.99 ea

Have Fun!

Len

Hi Len, :)

Very many thanks for the reply. You're a star !! :D

Cheers

Tim.

2407O(uest) and 2407E(st) plus 2408O and 2408E cover most of the 1916 Somme British battlefront. The maps are also available on CD for PC/GPS use for around 38 euros per half a departement. Half the Somme and half the Pas de Calais cover most of the British presence in France.

Cheapest place to buy is in France, of course, and main bookshops in French towns will usually have the relevant local maps. Stamfords in Long Acre London stock the full range and WFA commodities also hold a range of the battlefield areas.

Beware, if you like maps they become addictive .......

Hi Martin, :)

Thanks for the information and the advice !! I'll have to be careful, I can feel myself being drawn into it !! :D

Cheers

Tim.

Hello Tim

Further to Martin's advice, if you can wait till you get there, these maps are often even cheaper in supermarkets (usually in revolving IGN stands) and hypermarkets (book section).

Gwyn

Hello Tim

Further to Martin's advice, if you can wait till you get there, these maps are often even cheaper in supermarkets  (usually in revolving IGN stands) and hypermarkets (book section).

Gwyn

Ah yes ..... but you feel too tempted to gather up armfuls of likely looking maps.....

I seem to recall buying some from the supermarket which was built almost on top of Hill 70 at Loos (Cora, I seem to recall).

Martin

You can also shop on line. Maps and CDs are usually received after a few days.

For IGN maps, Go to www.ign.fr

For CDs, Go to www.bayo.com

Once use this service and you will be kept up to date by e mail with the latest offers from IGN.

Although catalogues are on line,there is a catalogue available by post entitled "Catalogue Gratuit Serie Bleue & Top 25" which I used before internet access.

As another member of 'Map Addicts Anonymous' I make a bi-annual pilgrimage to the IGN web site, where they happily feed my addiction in return for my euros. This year, already well stocked on everything I need, I've tried some of the 'Serie Orange' 1:50,000. They cover [obviously] a little more ground per map, and are so PRETTY - the pink trousers of IGN mapping - sample attached. The web site is at:

IGN

Sue

Hi All, :)

Great replies, they've given me plenty of ideas. Very Many Thanks.

Cheers

Tim.

The Orange series are pretty good in my opinion; two sheets cover the Somme. IGN stopped making them about 10 years ago, and only brought them back in 2004. The Maison de la Presse in Albert now stocks them; but you can buy them on line as Sue and others have mentioned.

The blue ones are shaded too.

The ones I really like are the ones mounted on hairnets. You never know when you’re going to chill the Pol Roger, cut the cucumber sandwiches and pack the picnic basket for one of those spontaneous outings in the old Morris. The pre-war Bartholomew’s maps complete the occasion perfectly.

I’ve got quite a lot of those, (I hoard them) and they came in handy for spotting a few obscure locations in Wales for a friend’s project in the autumn.

My nicest maps of France are the cloth ones pre-Great War. This is the area Sue has posted above, in a 1916 map. (It's heavily compressed.)

Gwyn

Does anyone know where I can get them printed on Hankies, you never know when it may come in useful. :ph34r:

Len