Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval Action against Bodoma Junction, Macedonia,18 January 1916.

pete-c

Looking for information re the above, specifically with regard to a possible minefield off Dedeagach. 

The only reference I have found states that three rows of 10 mines each were laid down 10 km from the coast at the beginning of March 1916.  What I wish to establish is, were there mines in place before this date?

I have looked in the only naval sources that I have, which is the official history and one naval memoir, with no joy.  I suspect that your knowledge of naval activity in tyhe Aegean already exceeds that of most of us. If you can identify which vessel(s) laid the mines I suppose there might just be soething in some naval logs, but I am clutching at straws here.

Many thanks Keith.  The reference I mentioned is:  https://www.bulgarianartillery.it/Bulgarian Artillery 1/Testi/T_Navy_World War I_White Sea.htm  - the minefield/s being detailed in the fourth paragraph.  There is also a map at the foot of the piece.

Swiftsure was the ship chosen for the bombardment of Bodoma but, unfortunately, her logbook for that period is not available via navalhistory.net - even when accessible!  Wiki notes Burt (presumably RA Burt - seemingly in British Battleships 1889-1904) in reference to the above mentioned bombarding, so that might be worth checking.

I'll try posting my query on the other forum, in the hope that someone has a copy of the above book.

Cheers,

Peter.

This is outside my areas of knowledge, (as is so much), but have you examined the records at Kew?

I have just checked, and the log of HMS Swiftsure is available at TNA.  I have only ever examined a couple for one battleship, so I am not sure how much you would find there, assuming that you can get to Kew.     https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1526366

There also seems to be some possibly relevant material  in this section of records.    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Bodoma&_ser=ADM 137&id=C1846

There might also be something relevant in the archives of the National Maritime Museum, but I am even less knowledgeable about their contents.

The best of luck

Keith

On 25/11/2023 at 07:20, pete-c said:

What I wish to establish is, were there mines in place before this date?

There was a previous bombardment of Dedeagatch on Thursday, 21st October 1915. The naval force was made up of Doris, Theseus, 3 or 4 monitors and 4 destroyers. Keyes mentions that it was intended to send along some 'trawler sweepers' but because of the bad weather it is not clear if they eventually took part. It does however suggest that mines were at least suspected in that area. 

Sorry that I can't turn up anything more helpful

regards

Michael

1 hour ago, keithmroberts said:

This is outside my areas of knowledge, (as is so much), but have you examined the records at Kew?

I have just checked, and the log of HMS Swiftsure is available at TNA.  I have only ever examined a couple for one battleship, so I am not sure how much you would find there, assuming that you can get to Kew.     https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C1526366

There also seems to be some possibly relevant material  in this section of records.    https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=Bodoma&_ser=ADM 137&id=C1846

There might also be something relevant in the archives of the National Maritime Museum, but I am even less knowledgeable about their contents.

The best of luck

Keith

The first one of these TNA files would certainly be interesting to see.  Kew is definitely on my list of places to visit, but I probably won't be able to get up there until the New Year.

Thanks again Keith.

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

There was a previous bombardment of Dedeagatch on Thursday, 21st October 1915. The naval force was made up of Doris, Theseus, 3 or 4 monitors and 4 destroyers. Keyes mentions that it was intended to send along some 'trawler sweepers' but because of the bad weather it is not clear if they eventually took part. It does however suggest that mines were at least suspected in that area. 

Sorry that I can't turn up anything more helpful

regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

Along with the aforementioned Swiftsure, trawlers and drifters were, apparently, also present at this January operation as were Havelock, Piedmont (Italian) and Bruie (French), plus attendant TBDs.    As you state in your reply re the action of October 1915, this does rather suggest that there was, if not an actual minefield, at least the suspicion that there was one, in January 1916.

It seems that TNA will probably be the only way to discover the actual circumstances surrounding this action.

Cheers,

Peter.

In case you need more background re October 1915's action Peter, this is from the Mitchell Report p.307

"The entry of Bulgaria into the war drew attention to the strip of coast between Enos and Greece. A blockade was commenced and minor operations were carried out at various places. A feint landing was made at Fenar Point on 2lst October, but no troops were actually put on shore. H.M.S. " Doris," " Theseus," and destroyers " Foxhound,” " Scourge," " Pincher " and " Grampus," with monitors M.19 and M.28, also H.M.S. " Ben-My-Chree " with her seaplanes, comprised the force employed, which, in addition, bombarded Dedeagatch. Seaplanes rendered assistance by reconnaissances, photography and spotting. The following damage resulted :—Railway buildings and a railway locomotive were destroyed ; railway trucks, railway store houses, an oil store, a factory, and the Harbour Master’s office were set on fire and burnt; Military barracks were damaged and some coal set on fire. Further operations against the Bulgarians were carried out on 26th October, when H.M.S. " Theseus ” with monitors M.15 and M.28, assisted by H.M.S. " Ben-My-Chree " with her seaplanes, bombarded Bodamo junction."

Alas, no mention of mines

Thanks for the prompt Michael - I hadn't thought about checking the Mitchell Report!  

Peter

Judging by the attached page of Captain Cecil Minet Stavely's Weekly Report dated 4 March 1916 from HMS ENDYMION 7th Detached Squadron, if the ENDYMION was off Dedagatch on 24 Feb 1916 and then proceeded to Porto Lagos, she was either extremely lucky not to hit one of the mines or the minefield wasn't there on that date.

Tony

ADM137 213.JPG

11 hours ago, MerchantOldSalt said:

Peter

Judging by the attached page of Captain Cecil Minet Stavely's Weekly Report dated 4 March 1916 from HMS ENDYMION 7th Detached Squadron, if the ENDYMION was off Dedagatch on 24 Feb 1916 and then proceeded to Porto Lagos, she was either extremely lucky not to hit one of the mines or the minefield wasn't there on that date.

Tony

ADM137 213.JPG

Tony - good work!  I would, most likely, have missed this.  It just goes to show how a good 'sweep' of the records - either side of a particular date - can bring unexpected rewards. 

With nothing else to go on (as yet!) my thoughts are that there probably wasn't a minefield in place off Dedeagach in January 1916.  So, when I do manage to get up to Kew, it might be worth checking ENDYMION'S log, as well as SWIFTSURE'S!

Cheers,

Peter.

Peter, if we look at UC-class mine-laying submarines, the first to make a claim in the Aegean was UC23 on 29 November 1916.

A very narrow view on your question, I admit. Data from uboat.net, but my analysis (errors mine).

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Yup - just got back in.  Phew!

On 27/11/2023 at 06:58, b3rn said:

Peter, if we look at UC-class mine-laying submarines, the first to make a claim in the Aegean was UC23 on 29 November 1916.

A very narrow view on your question, I admit. Data from uboat.net, but my analysis (errors mine).

Thanks Bern - your input is always appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

The Italian Cruiser Piemonte bombarded Dedegatch on 11 January 1916. Details of the ship can be found in issue 48 September 2023 edition of the New Mosquito. 

Mate,

The UC boats of the Constantinople Flotilla were not in that area at that time

There were at lest four UC types,

UC 13 & UC 15 all lost before the Nov date with UC 15 lost in Nov, but in the Black Sea.

UC 23 is only a possible, as she sunk that ship around Crete in Nov 1916

The four sub was UC 37, but she did start until early 1917

There were a number of UC boats with the Pola/Mittelmeer Flot, but would they mined that area is unknown?