Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Geogheghans Bluff Cemetery

alantwo

56 minutes ago, busterfield said:

Only reference I found found was.

@busterfield's reference puts it here, which seems to be in accord with other GWF search results.  There is a Lonsdale Battalion site with a very detailed description and photograph and they call it a wide, flattish area of land above the Zig Zag of Gully Ravine.  Zig-Zag and "G" Bluff are both marked on this TrenchMapper map and the map label is positioned where the Gully Ravine site records it.  Click to enlarge.

image.png.16a45b8d2817a243df149986a37e296c.png

Alan,

Geogheghan's Bluff is at map ref 22.S.3 – T.1. (map 1:20,000)
[from GHQ's Force Order No.28 dated 7 November 1915]
NB. this will no doubt refer to the whole of the G Bluff area and not just the cemetery

The map-crop below was produced by Mike Crane for the Gallipoli Association

image.jpeg.186982c2e7c9d8cfb73a43bbba008934.jpeg

@busterfield @WhiteStarLine @michaeldr

Many thanks for your posts with links and maps.

A couple of men from the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade RGA were reinterred at Twelve Tree Copse Cemetery from Geogheghans Bluff Cemetery. Helpfully the latter is recorded in their service files as being 3 and 5/8th miles from Cape Helles though less helpfully in a NNE direction from Cape Helles, which would place the cemetery more on a line towards Krithia (Approx. map ref 18 A2-3). However with the information you have kindly provided I think I now have the right area.

Regards

Alan

image.jpeg.076723002e1c44deb1921f37a94f6037.jpeg

Image - My overlay of 1:20,000 Krithia map on Goggle Earth.

24 minutes ago, michaeldr said:

Alan,

there's an October 1915 photograph showing the cemetery, which appears in Stephen Chambers' book 'Gully Ravine' [ISBN 0 85052 923 9] pub. 2003 by Leo Cooper/Pen & Sword: see p.179. The background accords well with the second pic here http://gullyravine.org.uk/geoghegans-bluff, and with my own from 2018

Michael

Many thanks. I have Stephen’s book I’ll take a look.

Kind regards

Alan

When you exit Gully Ravine and enter the now-cultivated field, I think the cemetery is on the left, against the high ground to the left. At least one, probably more, football games were held on the now-cultivated field. Dugouts were probably against the higher ground ahead and to the right, as you exit Gully Ravine. However, the location of the wartime cemetery is speculation on my part!

Edited by b3rn

1 hour ago, b3rn said:

When you exit Gully Ravine and enter the now-cultivated field, I think the cemetery is on the left, against the high ground to the left. At least one, probably more, football games were held on the now-cultivated field. Dugouts were probably against the higher ground ahead and to the right, as you exit Gully Ravine. However, the location of the wartime cemetery is speculation on my part!

Thanks for the information Bern

Hopefully I’ll get the chance to visit the peninsula again in the not too distant future. Stephen’s book, mentioned by Michael, describes Gully Ravine as a long walk which is probably why we left it out last time! (However, following a previous suggestion, I did get to see the memorial in Marseille).

Kind regards 

Alan

On 27/11/2023 at 07:07, b3rn said:

When you exit Gully Ravine and enter the now-cultivated field, I think the cemetery is on the left, against the high ground to the left.

Per the above photograph, Bern seems to be spot on here

2 hours ago, michaeldr said:

This CWGC album has excellent photographs of many of Gallipoli's 'lost' cemeteries
https://archive.cwgc.org/GetMultimedia.ashx?db=Catalog&type=default&fname=CWGC_9_2_2_8_21.pdf – see page 51 for Geohegans Bluff

Michael

Many thanks for posting the link it's an excellent resource that I wasn't aware of; I have downloaded a copy.

Kind regards

Alan

1 hour ago, alantwo said:

Michael Many thanks for posting the link it's an excellent resource that I wasn't aware of; I have downloaded a copy

We are a Co-operative effort;

I got the link from Mike Crane who in turn got it from Bill Sellars

Knowledge not shared is wasted! 😊

Edited by michaeldr