Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Rolls Index Card for Boer War Medal: James Wilson Ord

rolt968

I hope the Mods will allow this thread. It concerns a type of document which many of us use great deal.

Below is the MIRC for James Wilson's King's South Africa for which he applied in 1925.

I can understand why there is a MIRC. Has anyone seen any other MIRCs for Boer War or other pre 1914 wars?

30850_A001178-00045.jpg.fd52e3583310401ee04db46f5dd192ab.jpg

RM

Edit: Forgot source - ancestry,

Edited by rolt968

58 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Below is the MIRC for James Wilson's King's South Africa for which he applied in 1925.

Looks like he was applying for a replacement. Mine appears to relate to a disposal. Confused the life out of me when I came across this many moons ago :)

NormanAsheNorfolk564MiCsourcedAncestry.jpg.cb040abc8bea445b18a2655848b01f61.jpg

Image courtesy Ancestry.
Cheers,
Peter

15 hours ago, PRC said:

Looks like he was applying for a replacement. Mine appears to relate to a disposal. Confused the life out of me when I came across this many moons ago :)

NormanAsheNorfolk564MiCsourcedAncestry.jpg.cb040abc8bea445b18a2655848b01f61.jpg

Image courtesy Ancestry.
Cheers,
Peter

Thanks, Peter.

It would be confusing if the card was for a man from a unit which was in existence at the time of WW1.

Yes, there are cards that document the issue of replacement QSA and/or KSA medals in the interwar period. 

There are also cards to WW1 veterans that state their post 1920 number, and mention they are the recipient of a LSGC medal in the interwar period.

This was figuratively a living, breathing operation. Yes, it documents persons on the medal roll for the most part. It also documents rejected cases, and replacement Boer War medals.

I would consider anything on the medal cards to be in keeping with the GWF. It's like the WO 363 records. They are a WW1 record set in principle, albeit with a few exceptions that come to light.