Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CSM Ernest Horsfield 1st/6th DLI MM citation

Spree Farm

Good Morning,

I am searching for the citation for 250471 CSM (Sgt) Ernest Horsfield 1st/6th Bn. DLI Military Medal. I can find references to him been awarded it but cannot find the citation and what he did to receive it, can any one assist please?

Citations for Military Medals are like hens teeth, very rare. There are exceptions to the rule however, the Tank Corps of a 'Book of Honour' which lists citations. Sometimes you might find an entry within the Battalion's war diaries but hard to find if it is indeed there. Also, sometimes you might strike lucky with a newspaper (local to the man's home) article that gives the reason for the MM -- I have searched UK newspapers but nothing found.

His award was announced in the London Gazette, 29th August 1918 (images courtesy of the London Gazette)

Horsfield.jpg

Horsfield_LG entry.jpg

His MM Index Card from The National Archives' reference WO 372/23/122346 confirms it was likely for an action during the German Spring Offensive in April 1918:

Horsefield.png

Many thanks this has answered my question and my next question, the approximate date of the award. I have the 1/6th diaries and my next task is to trawl through them to see if it is mentioned.

Kind regards

From 151 Bde war diary at TNA:

6 DLI Apr 1918.png

Yet, the CWGC only lists 69 casualties for 6th DLI - most in mid April: https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/search-results/?Surname=&Forename=&Initials=&ServiceNum=&Regiment=durham+light+infantry&Unit=6th&DateDeathFromDay=1&DateDeathFromMonth=April&DateDeathFromYear=1918&DateDeathToDay=1&DateDeathToMonth=May&DateDeathToYear=1918&DateOfDeath=&CountryCommemoratedIn=null&Cemetery=&Rank=&SecondaryRegiment=&SecondaryUnit=&AgeOfDeath=0&Honours=null&AdditionalInfo=&Page=2

Many missing may been taken prisoners?  The other DLI battalions may have MMs listed in the same gazette. Check their war diaries.

Edited by Ivor Anderson

13 hours ago, Spree Farm said:

Many thanks this has answered my question and my next question, the approximate date of the award. I have the 1/6th diaries and my next task is to trawl through them to see if it is mentioned.

Kind regards

Hello Spree Farm.

This article in the 'Newcastle Daily Journal' Saturday, August 31st, 1918 doesn't list the citation but records Sergeant E Horsfiled, DLI from Byers Green as being a local man awarded the Military Medal for Bravery in the Field.

I will send you the fill page by pm.

Gunner 87

47408013-3E71-4610-BDB9-85B873AAC62A.jpeg

Many thanks for this information. I have forwarded the information and had this response

Good morning David,

Thank yo so much my cousins will be over the moon with this information. It is so kind of you to send it.

I'm sure they won't have any documents as they said they couldn't find anything at all. All they have is his medal.

Thank you again,
Kind regards,
Christine

Christine sent these two photo of Ernest

Ernest Horsfield.jpg

Ernest Horsfield 2.jpg

Edited by Spree Farm

Many thanks I have posted on your comment to Christine. It feels really good when you can help someone like this.  Once again many thanks.

Ps. I see there is "Make a donation" not seen before. Will do

Edited by Spree Farm