Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Harry Pickering Labour Corps - Documentation

henners1974

• Admin

Here is, I would suggest, a good relevant example of what I am trying to convey.

Patrick Curtis (aged 15 years, 11 months) attested into the KOSB on 20/09/1902 - he was allotted the KOSB number 7513.

Curtis - 7513 Att Form 12 years.jpg

Note:

1) Curtis attested for 12 years "Long Service" with the Colours - something I mentioned in my earlier post - i.e. that men at this time were opting for this type of service in the KOSB rather than some combination of service in the Colours and the remainder in the Reserve.

2) The similarity to Pickering's original KOSB number of 7501. So I now think the estimated enlistment date of Pickering using Nixon's Army Number Website for the KOSB Regular number series is open to some uncertainty. I have traced other KOSB records around these numbers and they do jump about a bit. So a mid to late 1902 enlistment for Pickering looks possible.

Curtis was with the 2nd Battalion KOSB for their deployment to France and so appears on the KOSB 1914 Medal Roll under his KOSB number of 7513. The Medal Roll tells us he was time-expired (written as TX on the Roll) on 19/09/1915, which tallies with his Statement of Services form. This reveals that he served 13 years - the original 12 plus an extra year because of the war.

Curtis 1914 MR TX.png

Curtis 7513 - Services 13 years.jpg

Patrick Curtis was evidently conscripted into the KOSB in June 1917 using Army Form B2513 and was allotted a new KOSB number of 30703, which is the number used by the KOSB Medal Roll compilers for his VM & BWM although they quite correctly quote his earlier KOSB number of 7513 because that is the number that needs to be on his medals.

Curtis 30703 B2513.jpg

Curtis 30703 BWM Roll.jpg

The known attestation date, the original KOSB number and the known time-expired date for Curtis now makes Pickering's time-expired date a possibility as being mid to late 1915, meaning that he too might have served a straight 13 years without having to invoke some special reason for forfeited service.

Because Pickering was transferred to the Labour Corps, his second KOSB number of 28497 was deemed to be utterly superfluous for the compilers of his Labour Corps Medal Roll.

Regards

Russ

1 hour ago, RussT said:

Here is, I would suggest, a good relevant example of what I am trying to convey.

Patrick Curtis (aged 15 years, 11 months) attested into the KOSB on 20/09/1902 - he was allotted the KOSB number 7513.

Curtis - 7513 Att Form 12 years.jpg

Note:

1) Curtis attested for 12 years "Long Service" with the Colours - something I mentioned in my earlier post - i.e. that men at this time were opting for this type of service in the KOSB rather than some combination of service in the Colours and the remainder in the Reserve.

2) The similarity to Pickering's original KOSB number of 7501. So I now think the estimated enlistment date of Pickering using Nixon's Army Number Website for the KOSB Regular number series is open to some uncertainty. I have traced other KOSB records around these numbers and they do jump about a bit. So a mid to late 1902 enlistment for Pickering looks possible.

Curtis was with the 2nd Battalion KOSB for their deployment to France and so appears on the KOSB 1914 Medal Roll under his KOSB number of 7513. The Medal Roll tells us he was time-expired (written as TX on the Roll) on 19/09/1915, which tallies with his Statement of Services form. This reveals that he served 13 years - the original 12 plus an extra year because of the war.

Curtis 1914 MR TX.png

Curtis 7513 - Services 13 years.jpg

Patrick Curtis was evidently conscripted into the KOSB in June 1917 using Army Form B2513 and was allotted a new KOSB number of 30703, which is the number used by the KOSB Medal Roll compilers for his VM & BWM although they quite correctly quote his earlier KOSB number of 7513 because that is the number that needs to be on his medals.

Curtis 30703 B2513.jpg

Curtis 30703 BWM Roll.jpg

The known attestation date, the original KOSB number and the known time-expired date for Curtis now makes Pickering's time-expired date a possibility as being mid to late 1915, meaning that he too might have served a straight 13 years without having to invoke some special reason for forfeited service.

Because Pickering was transferred to the Labour Corps, his second KOSB number of 28497 was deemed to be utterly superfluous for the compilers of his Labour Corps Medal Roll.

Regards

Russ

Comprehensive and compelling evidence with significant parallels Russ, thank you for posting.

6 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Secondary Unit, Regiment transf. to (549691) 800th Area Employment Coy. Labour Corps

5 hours ago, RussT said:

Which is what I stated in my Post:

8 hours ago, RussT said:

His CWGC records do state that he was later transferred to the LC (with number 549691).

The reason I posted was to display the CWGC information on the thread, to avoid other members having to do the search and to show the link between two of the numbers, the address and 800 AE Coy. -which the OP had shown on the pension card. I don't think anyone had highlighted that CWGC had a record of his being in 800 AE Coy. until I posted.

Thank you very much everyone. You have all been very kind to look into this for me. I'm actually a volunteer for the CWGC in Derbyshire. I look after about 100 headstones as part of the 'Eyes On Hands On' project.  I shall raise the question about him being commemorated with his second KOSB regimental number and not the original one of 7501. I shall update this thread with the response. Thanks again.